cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticating SMPT Server

Username
Grafter

Authenticating SMPT Server

Can anyone shed any light on when PlusNet will be offering Authenticating SMTP servers?
I've had a quick look/search and can't find an update...
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Authenticating SMPT Server

Hi there,
We don't have a timescale for this currently but will let everyone know once we have specific dates.
It is definitely something that we want to offer in the not too distant future.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

drw
Grafter

Reading one of the proposals there is a fear of user confusion and overwhelming of CS with  "I cannot send mail" questions if a PW was required.
To overcome fears that the CS team would be overwhelmed - PN could introduce and additional outgoing mail server that required authentication.
Then users wanting to use such a server when traveling the globe would find out about it and following the supplied instructions would get it working correctly.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't think the mechanics of providing an authenticated service are the problem, it's finding the resource needed to design it, set it up and integrate it with the portal.
Between them PUGIT 203 and PUGIT 313 cover what is needed.  There are security concerns even with authenticated sending; if someone uses a weak password it could be guessed through a dictionary attack.  A roaming button (off by default) would help combat this, but the pros and cons need to be gone through quite carefully.
The last thing PlusNet needs is in-house originated spam.
Incidentally this issue was also mentioned here, just a few days ago.
David