cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attenuation test ran by PN - query

Apprentice
Grafter

Attenuation test ran by PN - query

JoJo very kindly ran a test to see what the DS and US attenuations were for my  line connection, the results matched that of my router loaded with DGTeam firmware.
So is the result from the test (ran from the Plusnet end) taken from my router's firmware i.e. the reported line stats that I see or is it from software/equipment at PN?
The reason I am curious is that the DS attenuation is higher than that ever reported by other firmware and other makes of router.
It's not a problem as I can get a 4Meg sync with the exchange (20CN),which is stable even with a 61dB DS attenuation.
  Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Attenuation test ran by PN - query

Quote from: Apprentice
So is the result from the test (ran from the Plusnet end) taken from my router's firmware i.e. the reported line stats that I see or is it from software/equipment at PN?

Both! (kind of) Cheesy
This is probably not 100% accurate but hopefully you get the idea...
Let's assume a signal is travelling from 'A' to 'B'.
'A' transmits a signal at xdB power. This is received by 'B' which then calculates how much the signal has attenuated in transit.
The figures JoJo gave you are taken from the DSLAM at the exchange. Having said that, this information is partially dependent on what your router is reporting.
The accuracy of the upstream attenuation is dependent on your router relaying the correct information about the signal strength to the DSLAM, and the DSLAM accurately interpreting the attenuation at the other end.
The accuracy of the downstream attenuation is dependent on the DSLAM relaying the correct information about the signal strength to your router, and your router accurately interpreting the attenuation at the other end.
Worth bearing in mind that it is possible for your router to 'lie' or misreport to the DSLAM. It's this principal that forms the basis of what allows you to alter your SNR using tools like DMT.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Attenuation test ran by PN - query

Worth bearing in mind that it is possible for your router to 'lie' or misreport to the DSLAM. It's this principal that forms the basis of what allows you to alter your SNR using tools like DMT.

Thanks for your explanation Bob and yes the DGTeam firmware has allowed me to tweak the SNR so maybe my router is telling porkies to the DSLAM  after all  Wink

<http://dgteam.ilbello.com>