Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attenuation increase from 25 to 50

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Attenuation increase from 25 to 50

Sounds like you have had an extremely raw deal there from BT, no doubt compounded by having to deal with overseas call centres, and an awful OR engineer who didn't do his job correctly.
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
No master socket in the loft, the incoming drop wire goes into a small white connector approx. 2" by 2", the phone cable comes from this to the first socket in the upstairs front bedroom, this is where the router is connected now.  It is a different router and filter.
There doesn't seem to be  the amount of errors as before but the sync rate is even lower and the attenuation has jumped up to 80. Had to reboot a few times which wont have helped matters.
Statistics -- ADSL
Mode: ADSL2
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 5.1  6.5
Attenuation (dB): 80.0  37.0
Output Power (dBm): 12.3  0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 784  264
Rate (Kbps): 386  263
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 11  11
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 11  11
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 16  16
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 4  3
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16  12
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 15.5514  22.6667
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 107  72
D (interleaver depth): 2  1
Delay (msec): 7  5

Super Frames: 40547  37167
Super Frame Errors: 0  0
RS Words: 172326  117746
RS Correctable Errors: 63  0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0  N/A

HEC Errors: 0  0
OCD Errors: 0  0
LCD Errors: 0  0
Total Cells: 611547  67708
Data Cells: 14933  235
Bit Errors: 0  0

Total ES: 0  0
Total SES: 0  0
Total UAS: 31  0
Time to do the Fault Checker now i think. I had a look inside this socket and there are so many wires connected i wouldn't know where to start checking.
The incoming one and two hard wired extensions with what looks like every wire connected.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion

The colours of the wires are what's important in the first instance, the cable standard will be OK if have you got the following throughout -
Blue+white trace on 2, White+blue trace on 5, Orange+white trace on 3, White +orange trace on 4, and if a 3rd pair is present Green+white trace & White+green trace on 1&6.
If you have cable with solid colours Orange, Blue, Green and Brown that will need to be replaced in due course. There's also the "bell wire" issue to deal with.
I don't think your wiring has caused this fault, this is looking like an exchange fault but you'll have to run the Fault Checker and get a fault moving. Two modem/routers reporting similar stupid figures is confirmation of a fault.
Can you hear any crackling or other noises on the phone line?
Have you had any thunder and lightning recently?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, I got too interested in the stats, you'll have to start by checking if the telephone works at all, has a dial tone etc. I wouldn't be surprised if you find the telephone doesn't work. In which case it would have to be raised as a voice fault with whichever company your telephone is with.
Anotherone
Champion

And don't mentioned the broadband if it's a voice fault, unless the phone provider is Plusnet which shouldn't be an issue. BUT also make a point of saying "I am testing from my Master socket, but I can't test from the Test socket, as I don't have one".
Fifer
Grafter

@Anotherone  The wiring is solid colours and has been like this for more years than i can remember.  Never had any problems really with phone or broadband until the pole was replaced and has been fine since then, there was an open junction box on the pole that was replaced, this caused the problems.
No noise on phone line, 17070 quiet line test, line silent. no thunder and lighting recently. This seemed to start when i plugged in this external HDD that i think had a faulty power supply. I've completed the Faults Checker so will see what this shows up.
@ejs Telephone seems OK, has a dial tone and a clear line.
Thanks again
Ron
Anotherone
Champion

I can't understand how the HDD would affect a 2nd modem/router though, so we'll have to see what turns up from the Faults Checker.
Fifer
Grafter

Not being that clued up on the technical side of broadband i really don't understand what's going on.
If it's the wiring that's faulty i have sort of resigned myself to having to pay to get this sorted.
Thanks to both of you for your help and advice. Will update the thread when i get it sorted.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion

I'll give you guidance on the wiring later, it's a fairly easy diy job and cheap, once you have an NTE5. Expensive if you pay some one and they don't do it right! Your wiring will not have caused this fault, but it will be preventing you from getting the best from your line. I'll post later.
Fifer
Grafter

Hi,  Just to update this, BT engineer visited today and fixed the fault. He fitted a new NTE5 master socket as it looked like the old one was faulty.
After over 30 years it's done rather well really, he reconnected the one extension socket that was required and all is back to normal. I must say he was very helpful and obliging. Stats are better now than they were before.
Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 5.8  5.5
Attenuation (dB): 25.0  10.3
Output Power (dBm): 12.6  0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 20272  1208
Rate (Kbps): 17302  1211
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 62  12
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 254  37
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1  1
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2  4
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0  0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4707  0.9967
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 4334  305
D (interleaver depth): 1  1
Delay (msec): 0  0

Super Frames: 749318  705353
Super Frame Errors: 103  0
RS Words: 0  0
RS Correctable Errors: 0  0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0  N/A

HEC Errors: 63  0
OCD Errors: 14  0
LCD Errors: 0  0
Total Cells: 489349752  734974
Data Cells: 910897  78
Bit Errors: 0  0

Total ES: 78  0
Total SES: 2  0
Total UAS: 169  0
This is after approx: 4hrs uptime.
Plusnet profile is still at 0.03 Mb. will this update automatically or can plusnet manually fix this?
Once again thanks for all help and advice
Ron 
Anotherone
Champion

It "should" update quite quickly, run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Did he replace the cable to the NTE5 or have you still got the old junk there? Is the extension just for phone - and so is filtered if he fitted a vDSL plate?
Fifer
Grafter

BT performance test
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.17 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.17 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.26 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Cable not replaced to the NTE5, the extension is just for cordless phone downstairs and the base unit is fitted with a filter to the phone socket.
He tested phone before he left and all seems to be working ok.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion

See if your Current Line speed has gone up yet.
Did he fit one of these or one of these ?  I guess the box in the loft looks like this
Is it a difficult cable run from the loft to the Master?
Fifer
Grafter

The line speed is still at 0.03Mb.  The box fitted is the one in the first link with the single socket on the removable  bottom section.
The box in the loft looks exactly like that one. I don't think it would be that difficult to run, it's about 5mtrs of cable from the small box in the loft, down through the ceiling , down the edge of the door facing into the Master Socket. Would this improve the connection as it seems ok now?  I thought that anything up to the Master Socket was BT's responsibility and should not be altered.
Ron

Anotherone
Champion

Technically it is. It's a shame you didn't persuade the engineer to replace it. Because of the way it's connected, you could replace it yourself if you feel competent enough (maybe have a friend who might be) or better still know any local BT engineers?
It really depends on how your connection performs.
The old standard of wiring will pick up interference, how much depends on your locale, I wouldn't be able to predict. This could result in slower speeds (after a few drops in connection). As the master socket hasn't got the vDSL plate, the extension wiring may contribute something as well and would be best replaced - that bit is your responsibility not BT.
If you wanted to have a go after you see what things are like I can suggest where to get the CW1308 cable (39 p/m  P&P £1 and a small tool to push the cable into the IDC terminals 99p), and give you connection instructions.
Alternatively, if you see a local BT man working, you could try asking him if he'd do it all for you for a tenner or so, tea and biscuits, cake etc!