Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attenuation and BT

SamP
Grafter

Re: Attenuation and BT

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
I presume if your attentuation has dropped to 29dB that you now sync at 8128 kbps or 7616kbps?

Well that would be nice. 
But it's actually synching at 6080Kb  and my download speed, in the early hours, is about 2.5 times higher than it was.
It's been stable at that for a week now.
No cables, underground or overhead, have been disturbed in the making of this improvement.  By the way, practically all cables around here (power as well as telecoms) are strung overhead.
The BT Eng only took a little over one hour to fix the problem and I suspect he fitted his lunch into that time as well.
AS I said, I'm looking for a word which describes the feeling of pleasure that something's been sorted out, coupled with the irritation that it should have been fixed a long time ago.
The Germans have a word for deriving pleasure from someone else's misfortune, and one which means improving things such an extent that they are far worse than before - they must have one for this.
minimal7

The Germans have a word for deriving pleasure from someone else's misfortune, and one which means improving things such an extent that they are far worse than before - they must have one for this.

Misfortune = Schadenfreude
For the second part is: kaputt repariert.
Best regards
Mike
x47c
Grafter

For making things worse than they were before while announcing this as an improvement you need Hutber's Law.
The late Patrick Hutber was the city editor of the Daily Telegraph in the 1970's
He coined a phrase "improvement means a detioration in service"
It was usually applied to finance groups which would announce something which they seemed to think was an improvement for their customers - but was actually a major inconvienence to many of them.
Best example I saw was a bank that totally revamped my local branch in the early 1990's to give their customers a "better service" so they claimed - and as part of the work moved the cashpoint inside so it was no longer accessible out of banking hours.....mmmmm.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

What about this for a current example!? Roll_eyes
http://publictransportexperience.blogspot.com/2011/10/oscar-oversees-optio.html
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
SamP
Grafter

To answer (one of) my own questions.
Verschlimmbessert - To improve something to the point where it is considerably worse than before.
That's another jolly useful german word which we seem to need more and more[1].
[1] No, I'm not aiming at PlusNet here.