cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attainable rate dropped?

edwardw
Grafter

Attainable rate dropped?

I've submitted a support ticket but no response yet...
When I first had fibre installed the attainable rate was 65mb... This is now sitting at 48mb....
Any ideas what it can be? Bit of a pain!
Also any info on fttpod yet? Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Attainable rate dropped?

Hi there,
I've just been looking myself and can't see an obvious reason.
Our faults guys should be picking this up within the next 48 hours, let me know if not.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
edwardw
Grafter

Had a reply,,, basically saying that the attainable rate is an estimate and cant be relied on.. fair enough...
but i was connecting at 65mbit and now its 50, so it shouldnt drop that much should it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

How long were you connected at 65Mbps for?
WWWombat
Grafter

What was your original estimated speed?
As take-up increases in the cabinet, crosstalk from other customers will reduce your speed, and/or increase errors which are likely require the addition of interleaving and FEC - so reducing speed further.
BT's original speed estimates were pessimistic because they already accounted for this effect. But take-up rates mean we're still in the process of seeing the effect in practice.
How much speed can be lost? The overheads of FEC, when turned on, can instantly take away between 10% and 25% of your speed. On top of that, more speed can be lost by the increase in interference/noise that doesn't cause errors. Perhaps 40% overall - but every line suffers differently.
Your drop of 65-50 is very close to 20%, so it is highly likely that the majority comes from just having interleaving and FEC turned on. If you are around your estimated speed, then this is even more likely to be the case.
The solution is vectoring, which should take away all the crosstalk, and restore service back to close to pristine. In the reports describing how good vectoring is proving to be, the graphs that show the improvement also imply (in reverse) just how much speed can be lost as your neighbours add to the take-up on the cabinet.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
njay
Grafter

interesting article and may well be something they do on my line (eventually, who knows when with OR lol)
It refers to copper loop length but people on here typically say how far they are away from their cabinet. So is the loop length likely to be double the distances people quoted e.g. I'm about 300m away as the crow flies so would loop length be 600m?

WWWombat
Grafter

No - loop length means the same as the distance to the cabinet.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
njay
Grafter

Cool. I did wonder as my 73/17 line rate would be exceptional for 500-600m lol