cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious speeds with fibre

pbyne
Dabbler

Atrocious speeds with fibre

Had my fibre installed Tuesday and all was well, I was getting around 30-40 down and 12-18 up. Now this wasn't the speed I was estimated, as I was told I would be getting around 75 down. Fair enough as they had to do that 10 day speed test thingy (not very good at this computer mumbo jumbo stuff).
But here's the bad part, since yesterday i have now been getting speeds at around 2.5 down and 7 up!!, that's worse than my old broadband. Please can someone from Plusnet look into this for me as this is atrocious. Poor customer service this whole month with you and now this.
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Atrocious speeds with fibre

Hi pbyne,
I'm really sorry to hear that you've got such low Fibre speeds.
I'm just going to take a look at things for you, I'll report back shortly.
pbyne
Dabbler

Thanks for taking this up Chris
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all. Can you just restart your router and check to see if anything has improved please?
pbyne
Dabbler

Thanks again Chris
Resetting the router seems to have worked and getting 35 down 16 up.
Just another quick question though, will i see my estimated speed of 75 after the 10 day period?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You should definitely be getting much more than 35 down and 16 up.
Would you be able to connect your laptop/computer directly into the modem as shown here: https://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindow... ?
I'm just wondering if bypassing the router improves things for you. If it regardless of the results, it'll give us something to work on.
pbyne
Dabbler

Sorry Chris but I'm unable to do that due to the computer being up stairs.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Does that mean you're connected wireless to the router ?
There are many factors that could make a wireless connection slower than a wired one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pbyne
Dabbler

Yes I'm connected wireless and I expect in to be slower than if it was connected directly to the router, but I don't expect it to be slower than half of what my estimated speed is. Which is 75 down 20 up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Run the BT speedtest - further diagnostics and that will allow us to see the actual download sync speed
pbyne
Dabbler

Ok thanks, before i do that though, i have a 30 meter ethernet  cable, would that work also if i plugged that into the modem to do what Chris said above?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, that would work fine. First just try connecting the computer to the router with the cable and do a speedtest. Then connect the computer directly to the modem as Chris says and do another speed test.
Post the results back and we'll be able to advise.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pbyne
Dabbler

Ok to be honest guys, i think its just the wireless connection. Here's my result using the ethernet cable.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, it's the wireless. You could try changing channels ( see here for explanation http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/guides/improve_wireless_internet_speed.aspx ) to see if that improves things.
Is the card/dongle in your PC Wireless N or G ?

pbyne
Dabbler

I dont actually know its a pc from medion with built in wireless.