cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point do I report a fault? (Fibre speeds dropping)

Zad
Grafter

At what point do I report a fault? (Fibre speeds dropping)

Hi all.
A couple of months ago I managed to get unlimited fibre installed (despite BT's best apathy) and had it at a really nice 49 / 11.9 Mbit and around 11ms ping to bbc.co.uk. As I expected, it dropped off slightly as the line management took over, settling at 48 / 11.9
Then at the end of July, it dropped to 46. Last night It dropped further to 43.2 / 11.1 and tonight to 42.8 / 11.1., I noticed that ping has risen to 19ms, so I guess Fastpath is deactivated and it is now on Interleaved (not great for WoW pings!). Just out of interest, I look at the TBB ping graphs most days, and it is very rare that any packets are dropped on what is (audibly at least) a quiet line, so I was surprised to see it falling back.
I have not turned the modem off since BT's contractor installed it, but I have restarted the router (and only the router) manually a few times to obtain a faster gateway.
BTW's test gives:
1. Best Effort Test:  Download Speed : 43.34 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  Upload Speed : 9.11 Mbps  (Quite a bit lower than TBB and Ookla test at)
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Which is odd because it worked fairly quickly after it was installed, indeed just after installation it was showing something like 48.4 out of a 51.something profile.
I have included the TBB speed data and graphs, if they are of any help. I have faded out the old Be (and latterly Sky - ugh!) ADSL2 tests and TBB's unhelpful "trend lines"
The question to the wise masses is: Speeds do seem to be dropping rather sharply, is it worth raising a ticket, or is this just "normal". With my old ADSL2 being up for 3 months at a time, I'm not used to resynchs!

3 REPLIES 3
avatastic
Grafter

Re: At what point do I report a fault? (Fibre speeds dropping)

With FTTC its not considered a fault until the sync speed drops more than 15Mb than your estimate. (or by 5Mb if you're on a < 20Mbps connection). These are BT's rules not PN's so no matter how sympathetic PN are, there is nothing they can do to have it looked at as a fault by BT.
A <100ms ping should be more than enough for WoW and any other online game. source
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It says a fault can be reported if the line rate has decreased by more than 25% over the previous 14 days. You'd need the IP profile figure to work out the line rate.
From https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Products/Broadband/fibre_to_the_Connect/Handbook_and_Tec... page 16
avatastic
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification ejs, i may be working with out of date information (or more likely, a faulty memory).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)