cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus n55u router okay with Plusnet?

ratty
Dabbler

Asus n55u router okay with Plusnet?

I am thinking of getting an Asus n55u wireless router as I'm hoping it will improve the wifi signal to one of the rooms in the house that the TG582n can't reach.  Most people on this forum seem to have the Asus n66u, but I think that is for fibre and I'm on ADSL.
Any problems or useage tips?
Thanks
Cathy
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Asus n55u router okay with Plusnet?

Most people on this forum seem to have the Asus n66u, but I think that is for fibre and I'm on ADSL.

You are correct. The n55u should work fine on ADSL, I've no idea about its wireless performance though.
Might you migrate to Fibre in future ? the n55u will be useless in this case. If that's likely then you might want to look at something with Dual band Wifi  that has both ADSL and WAN capabilities
such as the Netgear DGND3700 or the tp link TD-W8980.
Or even, if you don't mind 2 separate boxes then it's possible to configure the TG582n as just an ADSL modem and use the Asus n66u.
Edit: according to this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/4206825-asus-n55u-on-plusnet-fibre-and-some-other-questio... it would appear that with updated f/w the n55u
could be used with Fibre although it did seem to have some problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratty
Dabbler

Thanks for your help. No fibre in this areas so that's not an issue.  I take it it is just a matter of disconnecting the router, plugging in the new one and putting in the Plusnet account details?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

That's correct, you'll find information on the settings here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ratty
Dabbler

Thanks ever so much for your help.
Cathy
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Hi Cathy. I use the Asus N56U which is the fibre equivalent of the N55U. The wireless is brilliant which is why I bought it. Good luck. Smiley