cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT N66U is it compatible?

koumi
Dabbler

Asus RT N66U is it compatible?

My plusnet fibre is connected through a btmodem(supplied through plusnet) then with an ethernet goes to a plus net modem (technicolor tg.... Cant remember the rest)
Anyway the plusnet modem is temperamental and on a odd day will drop the internet connection intermittently causing my online games to be interruppted (can see this by watching the green internet light flicker and off) when this happens i have to switch it off and on to restore the internet back to how it should be... Sometimes this is all i have to do to cure the lag.  Othe rtimes this simply doesnt fix it.
Also the wifi... It sucks i live in a house with thin plaster board walls that are insulated so i know it isnt the house.
I am simply looking at improving the hardware to stop connection errors and wifi singal.
I am currently on Plusnet Fibre unlimited and i want to know if i can buy this modem/router Asus RT N66U to replace the plusnet modem?
4 REPLIES 4
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Asus RT N66U is it compatible?

The RT-N66U can replace the Plusnet supplied router (TG582N), but not the Openreach modem.
I would look to buy one of the newer Asus models - the cost difference is not massive.
koumi
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply. They only reason i was going for that router is i can pick it up today Smiley
Whats the other newer model router that you mention?
AndyH
Grafter

The Asus RT-AC68U and the Asus RT-AC87U - both are new.
The RT-N66U is a couple of years old now, but still a very good router. The newer routers have more processing power/memory and they also have AC wireless.
darklight
Grafter

The RT-N66U as dual band 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, still a very good router i use one myself. You really don't need to pay more, get the RT-N66U router and if all possible try not using wifi on your gaming pc, always use wired.
You can pick one up on amazon for £94.99, don't forget to update firmware on it.