cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U / TP-Link TD-8817 not working with Plusnet ADSL

jam13

Asus RT-N66U / TP-Link TD-8817 not working with Plusnet ADSL

Hello Smiley
So I bought a Asus RT-N66U wireless router along with a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL modem. I had seen various articles recommending this combination of hardware (and even Amazon suggest the two products be purchased as a pair). However, unfortunately I have been unable to successfully connect to the Internet through the router.
The TD-8817 modem is set up in Bridge mode 0/38 VC-Mux. I have tried turning off DHCP, firewall and changed the IP to 192.168.2.1. No combination of these have made any difference. Note that the modem works perfectly if I use it as a standard PPPoA modem and connect using the correct Plusnet credentials.
With the RT-N66U connected to the modem and setup using PPPoE and with the correct Plusnet credentials, the connection just times out. The log simply says "Unable to complete PPPoE discovery" and repeatedly reports "Timeout waiting for PADO packets".
Given that so many other people report this hardware configuration works perfectly for them, I am starting to wonder if the problem is Plusnet-specific.
Any ideas? Comments, advice or suggestions very welcome.
Thanks Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
shure
Grafter

Re: Asus RT-N66U / TP-Link TD-8817 not working with Plusnet ADSL

Encapsulation needs to be LLC otherwise it will not work
jam13

Cheers, shure - that was it! High five! Cheesy
Just realised that the last time I tried with LLC, I was using an Ethernet cable that turned out to be dead. Should have tried again before posting really Embarrassed  Roll_eyes
Anyways, thanks again - hope this might help someone else in the future.
shure
Grafter

No problem.  I had the same issue when I got my RT-N66u and set it up with my Netgear DG834PN.  I was tearing my hair out for a while!
Hope the router is as good for you as it has been for me.  Glad to have been able to help Smiley