Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N66U Plusnet Extra Fibre/BT Infinity

Draftrabbit
Dabbler

Asus RT-N66U Plusnet Extra Fibre/BT Infinity

Hello Guys,
I've decided to invest in a new router today, I went ahead and purchased a Asus RT-N66U with all the bells and whistles....
However I am unable to get it to play ball with my BT Infinity Plusnet Extra fibre connection.
I have set it up as many others have Using PPPoE Leaving every setting as automatic and enabling VPN/DHCP.
I cannot obtain a WAN connection and being quite tech Savvy this was naturally infuriating.
My setup as follows
Master socket -->BT OpenReach Fibre Modem-->ASUS RT-N66U
15 REPLIES 15
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Asus RT-N66U Plusnet Extra Fibre/BT Infinity

i just got fibre and got the same asus all i done was plug it in it found the connection typed in username and password and we were off and away
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

for some strange reason i got I know the time is out but i cant connect to a NTP to get the time which is annoying.
Jan  1 00:00:12 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You won't get the time until you are connected - have you entered your username/password in the new router?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Draftrabbit
However I am unable to get it to play ball with my BT Infinity Plusnet Extra fibre connection.

Small point, but the connection isn't BT Infinity... Smiley
I have set it up as many others have Using PPPoE Leaving every setting as automatic and enabling VPN/DHCP.

Not familiar with the router but you don't want to enable a VPN.
There's some info here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108770.0.html/
Worth noting the comments about taking 5 mins to get a connection (My router, running Gargoyle also takes this long!)
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

rebuttle!
1. Surely with it being a BT Wholesale product it is leased as BT Infinity with a different name,
2. I reset the router completely (it was that or going out of a window!) and it gave me the original setup wizard and it detected my Connection type finally.
THANK YOU!
jim:quote
Bright
Grafter

1. Surely with it being a BT Wholesale product it is leased as BT Infinity with a different name,

No, Infinity is BT Retail's name for their fibre broadband product range. Not the name used by BTW, which is actually "Generic Ethernet Access Fibre to the Cabinet (GEA-FTTC)"  Shocked
Glad you got there in the end with the RT-N66U. It's a decent router, so hopefully you'll be happy with it now it's actually online. Post back if you have any other problems with it. Lots of us here seem to use it so someone should be able to help.
Draftrabbit
Dabbler

"Generic Ethernet Access Fibre to the Cabinet (GEA-FTTC)" That is rather interesting! I have now got  it set up any recommendations to which Custom I should be running?
Bright
Grafter

I'm running the Merlin firmware. Currently on 3.0.0.4.266.23 although I'll be testing out the newer 270.25b version shortly.
Since Merlin's firmware is based on the original Asus firmware, but with some bug fixes and quite a few enhancements, it tends to be very stable. Not had any problems so far. But which firmware you use depends on what you need the router to do.
PasPer2
Dabbler

So is the Asus router the preferred choice when looking to replace the Techniclor router supplied by PN?
Bright
Grafter

It depends what your needs are. It's not the cheapest choice(!) but it does offer pretty good wifi coverage, an excellent feature set and good stability. I've not seen too many complaints about it yet and I'm very happy with mine.
Are you on fibre or ADSL? (it makes a difference!)
PasPer2
Dabbler

I'm on PN's fibre package and have the Technicolor router which does what I need it to do, I just wondered if I was missing out on something by using it whilst others had migrated away to another router.
Dhaos
Grafter

Quote from: PasPer2
I'm on PN's fibre package and have the Technicolor router which does what I need it to do, I just wondered if I was missing out on something by using it whilst others had migrated away to another router.

I use the asus n56u router as i use a wirless connection and the n56u offers 5ghz band, we have a baby monitor that interferes with the 2.4ghz band.
shalom2010
Grafter

Quote from: PasPer2

I think the real reason to replace the PN 582n router is if you are having wireless issues - if not keep the free one!
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: shalom2010
I think the real reason to replace the PN 582n router is if you are having wireless issues - if not keep the free one!

Spot on  Smiley
A few people may also want features that either aren't available on the TG582n or are difficult to configure (eg only available using the telnet interface), or don't work well. For example, I need to be able to access my home network securely when I'm away from home, so I use the OpenVPN feature on the Asus router.
But as shalom2010 says, if it's working fine for you (and it does for many people), stick with it!