thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

ahhhh well ill leave it for a min
TBag
Grafter

Quote from: Bright
I noticed over on the SmallNetBuilder forum, the current view seems to be that Asus might have made a mistake and released an incorrect firmware version. The "expected" release was 4.354. The 5.354 is thought to be a beta release, which includes the dual WAN feature and this has been released by mistake. If that is the case, Asus will probably withdraw the 5.354 release on Monday (Taiwan time) and put out the correct release. So I wouldn't rush to update the firmware until it becomes clear if this is the correct release Wink

Funny you say that Bright, I haven't seen any improvements to wifi or ethernet speeds. If anything, Merlin was perhaps a touch faster. Well bitten the bullet I have, due mainly to the cursed GUI lockout. I'll keep the 354, or may revert to Merlin. It's just that niggling feeling that because I had Merlin fw when those lockouts happened, perhaps there maybe something in Merlin that caused those lockouts. Hope I'm wrong, that Merlin is so smooth  Smiley
thomasjc1
Grafter

dont seem to be a one off
Download speedachieved during the test was - 74.38 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Bright
Grafter

@TBag
The GUI lock-out is strange. I'm also using Safari, Chrome and Firefox on a Mac and haven't experienced it at all (on Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23 at present).
Anyway, hopefully it has gone away, in which case it must have been a firmware issue.
TBag
Grafter

Well reverted back to Merlin 270. I am now logging out from GUI every time I login. That may not be very astute, that it may not reproduce the problem, but frankly I can do without that lockout problem  Undecided
AndyH
Grafter

When it locked you out, did it say which IP was logged in? Was that different to the address of the machine you were using to access the router when getting the error?
TBag
Grafter

Well thats what I would've liked to know, couldn't get in to find out because I was locked out. The first time I was locked out, I had to power down the router to get in. Enabled the telnet in case. I was locked out the next day, and I used these Merlin provided commands to clear the nvram. Didn't work. So powered it down again  Angry
I don't know. The only thing I used to do was log in, and then kill the tab or browser without logging out from the router. Now in theory that should log one out, may be the session would eventually time out. But last lockout, I did wait patiently for about 2 hours to log back in without success. So now I make  a determined effort to logout whenever I get into the router GUI.
Bright
Grafter

What URL are you using to access the router?
If it happens again you could try deleting your browser's cookies for the router (it sets 4 cookies).
TBag
Grafter

Well my home LAN is on 192.168.6.x subnet, and the router has the first address. I did clear the cookies, in fact cleared the whole shebang, cookies, cache, extension cache, webpage preview cache and so on. At one stage I reset the Safari back to square one, just to eliminate any thing that may have caused the lockout. Nothing doing.
darklight
Grafter

I had this problem on my billion 7800n back on my adsl days, well that was only other week,  Grin when i was surfing on my laptop wifi and then i wanted to login to the router gui on my main lan pc, it just wouldn't let me, never got to the bottom of the problem.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

As I don't have, and am not considering, "this" router Shocked I've just read this. I have seen something similar with a different make (possibly Zyxel or Netgear) where only one "IP" could have a GUI connection at a time and there was a long(ish) time-out on the connection. (Sorry if it's been mentioned before, I only checked the last 2 pages Roll_eyes )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
TBag
Grafter

So Merlin was right, Asus have now designated the RT-N66U version 3.0.0.5.354 as Beta Version  3.0.0.4.354 here.
Bright
Grafter

Strange. They don't usually post beta versions of firmware. That's on the UK site. The main global site at asus.com still has the 5.354 version up at the moment.
I updated to Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 yesterday and happy with that so far, so I'll wait...
TBag
Grafter

I suspect the Asus main global site could be the Asus CA USA, rather than Taiwan, and if so, there are a few hours before they wake up, it being 6:26 am in CA.
Yep, I'm on Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 as well, been it it since day one, barring a few hours that I uploaded 5.354. Merlin 270 is quite an improvement on the original fw
flaminmoses
Grafter

Quote from: TBag
Are they? Asus RT-N66U, using 5GHZ WiFi signal....

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

ive got the ac66u
and the pings are variable after a while on 5ghz.
have to reboot every day and even then its not ok all the time.
gone back to wired and its great now