cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

kelvin
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

Thanks for your help Bright. I will get a replacement router ordered but will wait for the "2 week" settling time to expire before attempting to replace.
Joining this community has been very helpful, especially as I have worked out what many of the acronyms represent but I am going to have to read up on some being used as they are new to me. PPPoe, and DLM are new to me but I'm sure Google can help
Bright
Grafter

@kelvin
There is no 2 week "settling" time on FTTC. When the modem is powered up it will communicate with the modem in the cabinet and they will figure out how fast they think the line can operate and then sync at that rate. If your line is reasonably stable the Dynamic Line Management system does nothing for the first 24 hours. After that, it will only intervene if it detects stability problems and the line has been up for at least 15 minutes in the past 24 hours. It seems to act pretty quickly. So 48 hours is probably all you need to wait for things to settle down (although that won't stop the rate drifting down after that if there are noise problems and the DLM feels it needs to intervene). So there should be no problem replacing the router after 48 hours, as long as you leave the modem connected and powerd up (with the green DSL led on).
TBag
Grafter

Bright, I'm thinking of putting a ups on the modem, my nas etc. Would disconnecting the OR modem for a few secs hurt the sync rate? What would be the best way to disconnect it? Reset and then quickly disconnect, or just pull the plug off? Been on fttc for 8 days now.
AndyH
Grafter

On the stock firmware you can click on the green computers at the top of the page (accessible from every settings page of the router) and "Disconnect the internet connection" appears (click again to disconnect).
Just remember to reconnect, you cannot click on the computers at the top of the page. You have to go to the WAN page where "Enable WAN" has been disabled. Check the Enable box and then click Apply at the bottom of the page.
kelvin
Grafter

Thanks again Bright. I will be very pleased if my cabled connection runs at >60 Mbps rather than the 53expected.
I am on the laptop at the moment and it is running at 12Mbps in exactly the same position as it was yesterday when it was running at less than 1. Very pleasing but annoying there is no consistency
It still looks like I will be putting a £40 voucher I have for Amazon towards the Asus
PS Thanks for expanding DLM
Bright
Grafter

@TBag
If you need to disconnect the BTOR modem, the main thing is to avoid the DLM thinking that it's seeing a brief line drop. So the received wisdom seems to be to leave it disconnected for a reasonable period. Maybe >15 mins, just to be sure. As it's relatively new technology, there aren't very many people who have a good understanding of exactly how it works, and it's possibly still being fine tuned by BTOR. So there are probably a good few spurious stories and advice about it. But leaving the modem off for a reasonable period does seem to make sense. And also to "properly" disconnect the PPPoE session first, and reconnect it again when you've finished re-arranging the wiring..
chuckster
Grafter

Nice thread.. will be watching, and contributing where I can - it's a fantastic device.  Not had a single issue with mine since it's been on from January.
TBag
Grafter

@Bright
OK thanks. Makes sense. Somewhere I read about this BLIP Logic, and I guess that isn't applicable here, if the DLM takes a brief line drop as a problem on line. Running my Asus rt-n66u on the Merlin f/w now, yeah v good.
BTW: In previous post, meant to say connecting UPS on a few of my devices.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that 'blip logic' only applies to 20CN ADSL  -  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#blipLogic
TBag
Grafter

@purleigh
Ah OK, thats good, so one more logic out of the way then  Wink
kelvin
Grafter

My ASUS router is now ordered and should be here early next week. That will give me time to read the instructions on the PN web site on how to change routers, although the discussion in this thread (and the helpful post from Bright) suggests this should be easy even for a non techy like me
darklight
Grafter

Just powered up this very sexy routeer and its working great,  Grin port forwarding works, the wifi is very strong, very please about it, i've not changed the firmware, it works can't see the point updating it.
AndyH
Grafter

It's probably worth updating the firmware to version .352 when it's officially released by Asus. This has the updated wireless driver for improved coverage and support for devices like the iPhone/Xbox.
darklight
Grafter

Seems not able to pick up the 5ghz wifi on the laptop or iphone 4, i tagged the 5ghz SSID as plusnet_5g, not picking nothing up, other than the 2.4ghz wifi which is very strong.
TBag
Grafter

I take it your laptop is capable of receiving 5 GHZ wifi signal. The other thing to try is to set the 5 GHZ channel to 36 or 40 on the Asus router.