cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

The small yellow ping spikes are a characteristic of this router for some reason. I have raised it as bug with Asus as they happen when the connection is unused and my other routers don't show the same spikes.
flaminmoses
Grafter

those spikes are a lot better than what they were.
the real issue is the beta firmware.
those 21 sessions before the 260 firmware look horrid.
ive only got my ps3 online those 3 times.
something for asus to look at
emerald
Grafter

Quote from: TBag
@emerald
Best use ethernet wire, rather than wireless, to set up the Asus router before plugging it to the modem.
* Reset the router to factory defaults. Press the reset button that is located where ethernet ports are. Keep it pressed until power led blinks, the let go.
* Router has now 192.168.1.254 IP address. Make sure your mac is not connected to any wireless. In mac go to system preferences-> Network->Ethernet(on the left)->where it says configure IPV4:-> select using DHCP
* Connect one of the LAN (Not Wan) ports on Asus to your mac by an ethernet cable.
* Open your browser, type 192.168.1.254, when login page from Asus shows, user: admin, password: admin
* From memory the first page asks you to change your password, just change it, and press next
* Asus then scans to find a wan connection, when it fails it then asks to retry or Manual set up, choose Manual setup.
* Next page select PPPoE, put in your Plusnet userid eg xxxx@plusdls.net, and password, click next
* set up your wireless SSID and passcode for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, click next
* I think the router now comes up with the main Page showing all the menu selections on the left.
Now logout from the Asus router, set your mac to however it was before.
Connect your Asus WAN port to the BT Modem.

Thanks it worked a treat!  :-*.
If anyone else uses these instructions, note the xxxx@plusdls.net should be xxxx@plusdsl.net
Thanks again  Smiley
TBag
Grafter

Merlin Firmware 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta released Here.
bwlmog
Dabbler

Hi,
I'm looking to buy this router as the reviews suggest it is excellent.  Two quick questions though if someone could help;
1 - What are the network transfer speeds like for watching HD content from a connected USB HDD;
2 - Is it easy to set up with Fibre PN (is there a step by step guide available)
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
TBag
Grafter

1. I have a home movie recorded in HD which is stored on a USB HDD connected to RT-N66U. No probs watching it, no flutter.
2. If you would just read through this thread, you'd find plenty of help re setting up the router.
flaminmoses
Grafter

anyone else tried the new beta dd-wrt firmware?

the screen keeps crashing after making changes.
ie.PPPoE
thenchange the timezone and crash.
got the internet status up once but tried to connect to the web and it just got stuck.
never managed to get it there again even after manually clearing the nvram and rebooting / re flashing the firmware etc.
also noticed i couldnt telnet the router...or rather could enter the name but the password wouldnt work .
reverted back to merlin for now .

any ideas?
TBag
Grafter

No I haven't tried the DD-WRT not on Asus, though I have it on a Buffalo router, and it's been on it for years, and it just works. No the Asus is running on Merlin .270.26 firmware, and it's been trouble free (save a minor hiccup of locking me out), so I just wouldn't venture for another firmware, Let sleeping dogs lie  Smiley
flaminmoses
Grafter

ok got the dd-wrt working now.
the layer cake on my ps3 ping graphs have disapeared from the latest offical firmware beta and merlins.
loads and loads of options on this.
gonna take me weeks to work out all the little things i might be able to do lol
mikehiow
Grafter

I'm interested in running dd-wrt.
I see lots of reports of 5GHz not working, and absolutely no reports of people having 2.4 and 5GHz working.
I bought this router for the Wifi performance, so I'm a little apprehensive to go dd-wrt if I'm going to lose functionality or performance 😕
TBag
Grafter

Flashing DD-WRT on Asus is a little convoluted, going in recovery mode, flashing mini build, wait for a while, back in recovery, flash big build, wait for a while, back in recovery reset nvram, wait for a while etc etc.
Merlin on the other hand, absolutely painless, download firmware, upload it in router GUI, Bobs your whatnot  Smiley
Perhaps DD-WRT has abundance of functions, but I ask myself, do I need all that functionality, and the answer invariably comes in the negative.
darklight
Grafter

@mikehiow
Does the router work without you changing the FW, i'm talk about the function of 2.4 and 5GHz if so don't mess with it, as they say if it works DON'T fix it.
I'm using the Asus N66U stock FW on mine i can pick up a 2.5GHz signal way up road from my router with my iphone, i'm very happy with it.
mikehiow
Grafter

DD-WRT seems a lot easier to install now - you ssh in, update CPE and then flash a 3rd party build via the web interface.
My concern with the stock/Merlin builds is mostly the lack of IPv6 firewall, or the lack of an interface for one.
It includes ip6tables, but there is no easy way to commit these rules, so you're stuck running them every time the router reboots.
flaminmoses
Grafter

Quote from: TBag
Flashing DD-WRT on Asus is a little convoluted, going in recovery mode, flashing mini build, wait for a while, back in recovery, flash big build, wait for a while, back in recovery reset nvram, wait for a while etc etc.
Merlin on the other hand, absolutely painless, download firmware, upload it in router GUI, Bobs your whatnot  Smiley
Perhaps DD-WRT has abundance of functions, but I ask myself, do I need all that functionality, and the answer invariably comes in the negative.

something is up with merlin for gaming compared to dd-wrt.
im getting a layer cake effect on pings which is truly bizzare.
only problem is ive had to go back to merlin because dd-wrt keep crashing when i apply changes
TBag
Grafter

Is it TBB ping graph where you get this layer cake effect? If it is, could you put a live snapshot here? Here is mine on Asus.