Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N66U Users Thread

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Asus N66U Users Thread

I also use the Asus firmware on my 56 & it works fine for me. I'm no computer expert & I love the way that the firmware updates & installs  itself without my having to go hunting for a misplaced download!!  Embarrassed
dfunked
Grafter

I guess I'll give the Asus a firmware a shot and look into Merlin if there's anything in particular that I feel I'm missing (doubtful!)
Is it safe enough to just let it auto update the firmware, then? (bear in mind that I'm coming from a 7800N, which is advisable to factory reset after every flipping firmware upgrade!)
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I just click on the firmware version & then "check for updates" & it then checks & if one is available it downloads, self installs, requests a reboot & off it goes. It takes about 5 minutes total.
dfunked
Grafter

I'm quite pleased with it so far - admittedly after only a couple of hours of playing about... I'd read a few reviews which stated it wasn't really an improvement over the 7800N in terms of WiFi penetration which almost put me off buying, but they were clearly talking absolute [Censored]! I got very sketchy 0 to 1 bar coverage in the far bedroom in my flat beforehand, but get 2-3 now (exact same 2.4GHz settings/channels as before)
My Raspberry Pi (via a cheap WiFi dongle which is the major bottleneck) was getting ~400KBps throughput on the local network before, which was just about good enough for streaming SD content, but now gets ~1.3MBps which should be good enough for typical HD content. On the default cache settings it's gone from 30+ seconds to starting to play a file to less than 10 seconds, so double winner!
Setup was a doddle and it was up and running in a matter of minutes - the only slight delay was updating the firmware at the start!
fiscelan
Grafter

Just installed on Friday the N66U to replace the poor PN TG582n. What a difference it makes!
My wireless speed with my 80/20 broadband connection was limited to 50Mb in download with the PN router and now I get 73 MB without any pb!
So very pleased, no doubt.  Cheesy
In a way that's normal, you cannot expect much from the PN router which comes almost for free....
Shofar
Grafter

Hi Chaps.  Wonder if you could advise please.
Have an Asus RT-N66U with the latest Merlin build with PPPoE Connection and download speeds of about 70mbps.
Using OpenVPN with provider's desktop client software speed drops to around 35mbps.  Not a problem.
I wanted to slot in a dedicated modem and use the Asus for OpenVPN so that all of my wireless and ethernet connections would be covered.
However, when I put in a Netgear N150 WNR1000 and set up the Asus OpenVPN Client, download speed dropped to 12-15mbps.
Connection set up is: Openreach to Netgear WAN, Netgear LAN to Asus WAN with IP phone and other peripherals plugged into Asus.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Paul
Shofar
Grafter

Any help would be appreciated.  (just a little bump!).
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh

Having recently researched which routers work best with IPv6, I was gob-smacked to discover that the standard Asus firmware for the N66U exposes your local network to any IPv6 traffic on the internet, as there is no IPv6 SPI firewall, and tests have shown that incoming IPv6 traffic can pass straight through !
The dangers of using a router that is transparent to IPv6 because of the lack of a stateful firewall, are well documented.
Here are a couple of examples - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/ipv6-oops-its-on-by-default/, and http://gcn.com/articles/2013/08/09/ipv6-attack.aspx.
I couldn't believe how irresponsible Asus are for shipping a premium product with a massive security issue.   Shocked

Oooooh! I bought the N66U just this week, still to put into use but at this stage for the record I have disabled IPv6 in the TCP/IP network adaptor settings which as far as I know is by default 'turned on'.
Edit ~ having said that is IPv6 enabled or disabled by default in the GUI of the N66U Huh This suggests disabled...................................goes off to see if PN are using IPv6 now???
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: shekinah
Any help would be appreciated.  (just a little bump!).

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12315
Shofar
Grafter

Thanks SuperZoom.  Am now ploughing through it!
darklight
Grafter

Just wondering anyone tried the new update from asus
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050
I'm still running stock firmware Version:3.0.0.4.260, as they say, if it ain't broken don't fix it.
But it's been some months now, since i got the RT-N66U, if anything goes wrong i can always go back and use my plusnet supplied router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

AndyH
Grafter

Just updated now...seems ok so far
I am waiting for the next wireless driver update as I seem to have lost some of my wireless speeds in the last couple of updates.
Hiijinx
Dabbler

Anyone know how to safely disconnect this router? Ie when I am going to power done the connection without wanting to risk the DLM screwing around.
The plusnet technicolor had a nice and clear "disconnect" button, this does not!
AndyH
Grafter

Yes
Go to WAN > Enable WAN: No > Apply Settings
Or
Click the Green Computer Icon on the top right where it says Connected and it will disconnect. You need to go to the Enable WAN page to reconnect.