Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-N66U wifi speed naff !!

karlos103
Grafter

Asus DSL-N66U wifi speed naff !!

Hi all
Just got me an Asus DSL-N66U modem/router from PC World to replace my homehub 5 which keeps disconnecting due to a firmware issue.
Well got it onto net withing few minutes no problem .
Issue is - when on 5ghz wifi im getting around 10mb lower speeds compared to lan connection ....tried every setting you can think of but still same , moved router to another position and tried different firmware ...stil no different .
Says connect at 300mps and testing next to router .
On 2.4ghz on same pc or even a different pc im getting 20mb...tried all settings again still no different and connected at 300mbps .
Hardwired into lan im get a constant 52mb download ...2.4ghz im getting around 32mb download , 5ghz around 42mb ....upload speed on both is same as lan connection .
Been onto PC World to see about refund and they said if its been opened then cannot have back ...they need to test it but as far as im concerned its not fit for purpus !!
Soon as go back to my BT Homehub 5 ...wifi speeds are fine , no different to lan connecting when next to router !!
Any help most appreciated
Karl
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Asus DSL-N66U wifi speed naff !!

Which f/w are you running? Can you post a screenshot of your wireless settings page?
leader
Grafter

Check the Asus is away from any 802.11g /20Mhz /2.4G ect....
Then if its still not  Fit for purpose.....
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange ;  
As Hinted at in the other thread- the old rule of thumb of pairing chipsets can save a lot of  potential headaches  Wink
[ECI cab----->ECI Openreach modem -----> Home Hub 5  ( All lantiq)

karlos103
Grafter

Hi
I have tried the latest official update and the beta one but both same ...i have tried 20mhz and 40mhz on both channels but still no different , basically tried every way possible but still slow throughput .
Basically given up on it now and taking it back , but they say they need to check it to see if faulty and prob wont give me my money back if ok ....but far as im concerned its not fit for purpose !!
I have bt coming out friday to look at my line as having lot of disconnects and speed issues ....even on the openreach modem and plusnet router ....but at mo using hh5 and seems ok , disconnected twice since refitted it lol
Karl
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AndyH
Which f/w are you running? Can you post a screenshot of your wireless settings page?

Version numbers?  The screenshot Andy asked for would help as well...  Also, what encryption type are you using?
karlos103
Grafter

tried version 1.0.6.3 and 1.0.6.7 ......did try to install earlier version but wouldn't install
Im on default encryption wpa2 i think...... tried it fully open and still do difference .
as for screen shots i have boxed it back up now and fully reset it so cannot take screen shots ...sorry .
Karl
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

WPA or WPA2?  This is an important point.  You need to use WPA2 with 802.11n as otherwise your speed is limited to 54Mbps...
karlos103
Grafter

im have 300mbps connection at pc .....wap2 im using ....so its not connection speed
tonycollinet
Grafter

You do realise that wifi headline speeds are only achievable in optimum conditions. Almost no-one has these. I'm repeatedly changing wifi channels due to interference from neighbors. Even having someone on a nearby channel will significantly impact throughput.
Further the bandwidth is shared by packets going in both directions from all devices. Even if you achieved 300mb/s you can't expect to transfer a 300mB file in 8 seconds.
What speeds are you getting? And how are you measuring.
karlos103
Grafter

Hi
when i use the asus router im losing 10mb download speed on 5ghz band and 20mb on 2.4ghz band ....i usually get around 52mb via lan port  .
when using the home hub 5 in place of asus router i get  no lose in speed via wifi when sitting right next to it ...set on same channels etc .....i try to keep same settings on both routers .
I have check nighbours frequency and change to the channel which is free .
i use speedtest.net
bobboulby
Grafter

If you haven't already taken it back, there's a good support forum at http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46. It might be worth asking there.
Bob
karlos103
Grafter

Hi all
Taken it back today , no problem what so ever ....good as gold to me ...got full refund so going to wait till bt come on friday and see what issue is with line and hopefully bt homehub might work better lol ...if not prob just stick with openreach modem and get a good router