cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL N66U Wireless Router setup

ceefaa

Asus DSL N66U Wireless Router setup

HELP
I have recently bought an Asus ‘DSL N66U’. It has inputs for both a fibre modem and a DSL input for ADSL type services. My problem is that it refuses to connect to my current plusnet service (ADSL). I spent well over an hour on the phone to plusnet support on Saturday and, although the guy I got was very helpful, between us we got nowhere. But we have tried everything obvious.
Can anyone assist with this? If someone has the same router and can tell me what the setting should be it will help. There are so many variations to choose from that I could spend months trying them all. I can’t even confirm that the router works with PLusnet.
15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Asus DSL N66U Wireless Router setup

Hi ceefaa,
I don't have one but I'll try to help if possible.
Is the DSL light on ?
I've downloaded the manual but it's not very good. Some routers with both DSL and WAN ports seem not to autodetect the connection very well.
My guess is that you may need to configure the Advanced WAN settings to force use of the DSL port

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ceefaa

Not really. The light comes on when changing settings or during auto configuration. It flashes 3 or 4 times then stops for about 30 seconds then repeats. This goes no for about 5 minutes then the device states that it cannot make a connection and to check the phone cable is plugged in. (of course it is already plugged in). It seams to me that the device is trying to connect but failing. After trying a number of times it gives up.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Right, well it's not going to get very far until you can get the DSL light on solid. The flashing means it's not getting an ADSL connection to the exchange.  Did you use the ADSL cable that came with the ASUS or did you just unplug the one from the PlusNet router and plug into the Asus ? The cables may look the same but sometimes they use different pins at the router end. This may sound obvious ( and I apologise if it does ) but can you also confirm you are connecting from the ADSL filter to the DSL WAN port on the Asus ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ceefaa

Okay, tried that but, unsurprisingly, it makes no difference. It does seem to be having problems seeing the line at all. I know the service is up as I'm currently on it through my normal router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case I suspect that it may be faulty. There isn't anything in the setup that should prevent it getting a DSL connection. Only other possibilities would be to try a factory reset or possibly a firmware upgrade ( if that is possible from file ) although given it' a new model then there may be no updated firmware.

ceefaa

I think your right. It helps when someone else makes the diagnosis too. Despite the time on the phone to PlusNet I automatically assume that I'm doing something stupid.
Thanks for your help, it was much appreciated.
AndyH
Grafter

Can you post the system log? That should shed some light on where it is failing.
ceefaa

Okay, here is a list of the log for one failed attempt at auto config. It doesn't mean much to me can anyone see what is going on.
Cheers
2011-12-20 11:20:50 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
2011-12-20 11:20:50 [Informational] WEB: Configuration changed
2011-12-20 11:20:55 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
2011-12-20 11:21:30 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
2011-12-20 11:21:35 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
2011-12-20 11:21:43 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
2011-12-20 11:21:48 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
2011-12-20 11:22:13 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
2011-12-20 11:22:49 [Warning] kernel: ANNEXAIJLM^M
2011-12-20 11:22:49 [Informational] WEB: Configuration changed
2011-12-20 11:22:50 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
2011-12-20 11:22:55 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
2011-12-20 11:22:56 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
2011-12-20 11:23:21 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

2011-12-20 11:20:55 [Emergency] WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
It seems to be detecting a connection on the ethernet WAN port. You shouldn't have anything plugged into that port, I thought you had an ADSL connection ?

ceefaa

Mmm, I'm not using the WAN port at all. It's wired up exactly as the attached diagram from the user manual shows. i.e. Line from splitter (ADSL) into DSL port and the PC connected via RJ45 to one of the LAN ports. Could this be a fault in manufacturing do you think.
ceefaa

Okay, I've now tried this with both an ADSL service from BE and one from Demon at my friends homes. The router auto configures on both these lines without a problem. We can therefore say that the router is working fine. It is not faulty. However, this then leads to the question, 'what is different about the PlusNet service that stops the router from being able to connect to it'.
Does any techie have an idea of how PlusNet present there service that may be effecting the routers ability to 'see' it when first plugged in'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Both Demon and BE are LLU services whereas Pn uses BTw. Are you on a 20cn or 21cn connection ?
I wonder if you are on an ADSL1 connection ? the others will be ADSL2. Normally routers will default to multi mode and sync with whatever the exchange is set to, maybe the Asus is set to ADSL2 only ?
Can You post the stats from your existing router.

xxandy77xx
Grafter

(DSL N66U )

Hi could someone please let me know if i have correct settings  am on plusnet fibre . Everything seems to be working ok just wanting to double check tyvm Smiley
koumi
Dabbler

Thanks for the pictures andy77 they helped A LOT