cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigned a non-plusnet IP address

AGil83
Dabbler

Assigned a non-plusnet IP address

Really weird this one. Two weekends ago I was browsing when a particular website came up with a 'this page is blocked by your ISP' page. Funny thing was it was a TalkTalk block page. I didn't think much of it until I checked my connection settings and noticed that my line attenuation (downstream) had increased from about 32db (which is usual for me) to over 50!
So I did a bit more digging and found that my router was assigning default DNS that I hadn't seen before. So i googled them and guess what, TalkTalk DNS! SO then I checked my IP address via WhatismyIPaddress.com and surprise surprise, it's a TalkTalk IP and my ISP is listed as TalkTalk.
I've tried re-starting, re-configuring and reseting the router but every time it assigns a TalkTalk IP. Also my usage is no longer being tracked in the Member Centre.
Now I joined Plusnet at the end of October last year from SKY and I hadn't had any problems up until that weekend. I have never been a TalkTalk customer and there's only one phone line into the house.
The only thing I can think is someone has switched something at the exchange but I don't know enough about this stuff. I have raised a question via the support team but they are taking over a week at a time to get back to me. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is and how to fix it?
Thanks for your time.
61 REPLIES 61
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Assigned a non-plusnet IP address

My guess is that there is a TalkTalk customer somewhere near you who is getting very upset at their lack of a broadband connection. The danger is that when this is fixed you are left without broadband so I hope Plusnet get on the case before TalkTalk.
The other possibility is that you've been slammed - TalkTalk do have a bit of a reputation for this.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have you checked your phone line is still assigned the right phone number by dialling 17070?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi AGil83,
I can see from ticket 79760622 you've ruled out the possibility of being on the wrong line.
I realise this may sound obvious but it hasn't been mentioned so far, are you sure your router isn't connecting perhaps to a neighbours open wifi network?
If you're confident that isn't the case I'd advise giving Talk Talk a call as soon as you can.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

are you sure your router isn't connecting perhaps to a neighbours open wifi network?

How the heck can you do that by accident
picbits
Rising Star

Routers can act as an access point in some cases but I suspect Adam may have meant to double check which wireless network the laptop / PC is connecting to.
It all seems very strange though  Cheesy
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
are you sure your router isn't connecting perhaps to a neighbours open wifi network?

How the heck can you do that by accident

Don't know but my tablet p.c. connected automatically, a few days ago, to next door neighbour's unsecured Sky router. At the time, and to date, that router had/has a far stronger(full) wireless signal than the closer PN jobby.
It doesn't now because I "told" the tablet to ignore it!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The first check I'd do would be to check what IP I had when connected to the router wired. I can't conceive of any way a router could accidentally connect to a neighbours wifi without significant changes to it's configuration.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, if a direct ethernet connection to the router still reveals you seem to be on a TalkTalk connection, another possibility is a cockup was made at the  exchange.
TalkTalk LLU ignores PPP usernames and passwords so it would not surprise me if your router with its stored Plusnet username & password will happily connect to the TalkTalk network.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I realise this may sound obvious but it hasn't been mentioned so far, are you sure your router isn't connecting perhaps to a neighbours open wifi network?

I meant to say PC rather than router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Adam,
Have you checked to see whether he is shown as being connected? If his is the wifi to a neighbour looks a strong possibility.
However the original post spoke of checking the router configuration and noting the change of attenuation which suggests he is connected to his own router and something has happened at the exchange.
If you see him as not being connected why are Plusnet not treating this as a fault and why are you telling him to contact TalkTalk about a fault with the service YOU are providing?
tonycollinet
Grafter

I wouldn't expect an attenuation change of nearly 20db by going from one provider to another, even if changing to LLU. That would suggest a completely different line (woudn't it?)
This alone would suggest accidental connection to a different router.
AGil83
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think I would have missed something obvious as connecting to a neighbours signal but had to double check in case! Definitely connected to my own router. Even tried it wired with the wireless off and still the same problem.
So the consensus is that TalkTalk have taken over the line, either by a mistake at the exchange or on purpose with no authorisation?
If i'm paying Plusnet for a service surely they should sort this out?  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not sure they can
Under OFCOM Rules you are no longer a customer of Plusnet hence they can't just grab the line back as trying to could just get the move cancelled by TalkTalk
If you haven't been slammed then the problem is that BT Openreach have screwed up the move of somebody else to TalkTalk who will now be playing hell
If you go into the router you should be able to see the username as that will have changed and that should give you the necessary information to contact them
However I may be wrong and no doubt a Plusnet rep will advise
AndyH
Grafter

This could be a nightmare to fix - but it should be PN's responsibility and not the OP's.
I had issues with TalkTalk putting a tag on one of my lines. They had no record of me (probably because I had never been a customer!) and said there was nothing they could do to remove the tag. It took a good week to resolve after a ridiculous number of phone calls.