cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign a static public IP address to a PC using Technicolor TG582n

mickyman550

Assign a static public IP address to a PC using Technicolor TG582n

I am wanting to assign my static public IP address to my main computer at home so that I can access it from outside my LAN via VPN and/or ssh (in Linux). I attempted to do this by logging into my Technicolor TG582n router supplied by plusnet by going to "Home Network" > "Devices" and underneath "Pick A Task" I selected "Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device" and then clicked "Edit", selected my computer and pressed "Apply". Then a message pops up saying I need to release and renew the IP address on my computer. I have tried to do this by shutting down the computer for several minutes or taking out the ethernet cable. I've also tried running "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" in a windows command prompt but although my IP address does change, it doesn't change to the static public IP and when I navigate back to the "Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device" section it says "Not Assigned". Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do to get it to work?
1 REPLY 1
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Assign a static public IP address to a PC using Technicolor TG582n

You shouldn't need to put it in the dmz to be able to do what you want.
Just use port forwarding,
say port 333 to 22 on the machine - then you connect to <your public ip>:333 to get to it via ssh
and open the ports for the vpn (sorry never done one of them)
Mind you a lot of people (me included) have issues with these routers.
Some people have found it take a LOT of prodding to get it to forward ports (I used upnp when I used it and it worked ok.)