Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign IP to HP Microserver

damianmcr
Grafter

Assign IP to HP Microserver

Hi,
I want to assign an IP address to my HP Microserver that wont change each time I restart it.
How do I do this with the Plusnet supplied router?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Assign IP to HP Microserver

You'll find it here http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html
See the section headed  'Change the LAN IP of a Connected Device -- Static DHCP'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

Or you can set the DHCP range to say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 then manually assign the IP of the Microserver to 192.168.1.201 for example.
That is how I have my network setup - I have 100 DHCP available addresses then set the rest of the stuff on my network manually to a static IP.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: MisterW
You'll find it here http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html
See the section headed  'Change the LAN IP of a Connected Device -- Static DHCP'

no need to do it via telnet.
you can do it very easily via the web interface of the router.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: picbits
Or you can set the DHCP range to say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 then manually assign the IP of the Microserver to 192.168.1.201 for example.
That is how I have my network setup - I have 100 DHCP available addresses then set the rest of the stuff on my network manually to a static IP.

that's not really the best way to do it.
if you need to use a static IP then you should do it via the DHCP server and have it assign a permanent address to the device.
very easily done and almost every router has the ability to do this.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

you can do it very easily via the web interface of the router.
You can, but I've seen a few occasions when it doesn't seem to work correctly via the gui.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

damianmcr
Grafter

Hi
Another question folks. Im trying to setup remote access but im getting this error.

Anyone able to help here?
Thanks
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: chenks76
that's not really the best way to do it.
if you need to use a static IP then you should do it via the DHCP server and have it assign a permanent address to the device.
very easily done and almost every router has the ability to do this.

No, the best way to assign a static IP address is via static configuration of the client. Hard-coding a DHCP server is a kludge which, whilst it'll work most of the time, has numerous failure modes that can otherwise be completely avoided.
chenks76
All Star

eh no it's not.
clearly you've never worked in a corporate environment.
you never manually set a static IP, you always do it via the DHCP server so that it's the DHCP that is assigning the same IP address to a particular device.
"hard coding of a DHCP server"??? every DHCP server has this function.
damianmcr
Grafter

Anyone help with the above folks?
AndyH
Grafter

You need to lower the uPNP port range to 80...I had this problem too.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: chenks76
eh no it's not.
clearly you've never worked in a corporate environment.

Funnily enough; that's exactly where I do work... Not that it is at all relevent.
you never manually set a static IP, you always do it via the DHCP server so that it's the DHCP that is assigning the same IP address to a particular device.

As mentioned, there are numerous reasons why it is a bad idea, but the most critical in a home LAN is power cuts leading to race conditions upon reboot. If the network stack on the server comes up before the router's DHCP service then you risk a timeout leading to an unconfigured (and unreachable) server.
This can represent a real problem if you are away from home when this happens as many routers can take a significant time to boot up - I've been there and got the the t-shirt when a bunch of IP cameras in my house all failed to obtain leases and opted to configure themselves an unroutable link-local address (i.e. from 169.254/16 as per RFC 3927) instead following a power cut. My only option was to get someone to call round and power cycle the whole house whilst manually delaying the turn-on of the router. Static addresses on the cameras, outside of the router's DHCP pool but within the subnet of the LAN, have now entirely removed this risk from happening again.
You've got the choice at the end of the day - I am just offering advice based on first-hand experience of a situation that  whilst uncommon can most definitely occur.
Damian, the issue you have stumbled across regarding apparent blocking of remote access is likely because you haven't configured something known as 'port forwarding' on the router. This basically entails telling the router that any packets it receives destined to a particular port (80 and/or 443 in this case) should be sent to a specific device on the LAN. This can be configured on the Thomson routers via the GUI under Toolbox > Game & Application Sharing.
Specifically, select the 'Assign a game or application to a local network device' task, select 'HTTP Server' from the drop-down under 'Game or Application' and then select 'user-defined' on the 'Device' drop-down, type in the IP address of your server and hit 'Add' (or you can just select the device via its MAC address but I find the first method easier). Repeat for 'HTTPS Server'.