cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Ask the Boss - Answers discussion thread

Maybe I'm cynical but I have changed my views somewhat.    It seems a bit of a marketing exercise to get these responses online to restore our faith in the CEO ( 08/04/2009, 12:16)  then a couple of hours later (08/04/2009, 14.37) I receive my email, signed by Anthony Vollmer, informing me of the increase in cost of the Home Phone Service.  Am I the only one thinking along these lines?
I wonder how much more flack Mr Vollmer would have encountered had he announced these increases and not replied to the 'Ask the Boss' thread?    That is something we'll never know.
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks Tony for responding to the questions.
[quote=Anthony Vollmer]I’m very happy to look at offering BBYW similar products with some features so long as a reasonable level demand is there.
What stood out for me though was "...as long as there is demand...". That  begs the question - what constitutes reasonable demand? How many people need to be on a product or range of products, e.g. BBYW all options to be viable?
I would like VOIP (free inclusive mins), domain hosting and webspace kept from the BBYW range of products ported into any 'new' alternative to BBYW. When can we expect any BBYW 'equivalent' products to appear?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also Mr V does get up early
    Summary - Anthony Vollmer
Name: Anthony Vollmer
Position: Plusnet Staff
Date Registered: 07/04/2009, 14:19
Last Active: Today at 07:22
avollmer
Grafter

All - thanks for all your comments. Reading with interest.
Anthony
decomplexity
Rising Star

Since Anthony Vollmer is looking at the issue of more flexible products, e.g. where a monthly contract is priced higher than an 18 month contract, could I commend to him two lengthy posts of mine – particularly ‘Part 2’ – in the Community Support Archive forum which offered detailed proposals for product structuring versus PN’s possible target market segments. In particular, the posts covered the fundamental issue of capacity-based charging versus having sudden discontinuities in a structured price card (vide for example the costs of moving between the three current business product packages).
References: “Who are PN’s target customers”
Part 1
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,27739.0.html
Part 2
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,28894.0.html
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Anthony Vollmer, Can you pleas say if PlusNet PLC is going to get in to bed with Phorm, pleas do not be vague, YES or NO
James
Grafter

Currently we have no plans to implement Webwise or any similar technology.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That is not, a Yes or No, that is a maybe! I want a Yes or No
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I think that is a clear an answer as you will get, at the moment it is no - if the landscape changes and the product changes it may happen.
Commercially no business can rule many things in or out permanently.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@adiewoo, To me it makes more commercial sense to rule it out permanently, who wants to be with a ISP who change there mined, when you could be stuck with them for 18 months.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It looks pretty clear that BT Retail is still intending to go with Phorm. Here is a golden opportunity for Plusnet and BT:
There will be significant numbers who will leave BT because of Phorm, there is going to be a lot of argument about early termination of BT 18 month contracts.
If Plusnet were to issue a cast-iron guarantee that they will never use Phorm or anything like it, BT could, when announcing that they are going with Phorm, issue a statement that they recognise some people will not accept being on a system with Phorm. They could offer people a free exit from their contracts to move to the Phorm free Plusnet network (bringing however long they have remaining on their BT contracts with them).
The trick then is to make sure that Plusnet is good enough that these people stay with Plusnet after their minimum contract expires.
Surely BT would rather these people leave BT for Plusnet rather than go to a non-BT ISP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Nope, if they implemented that I reckon a T&C re-write would be in order which means you jump for free whatever contract.
Also I'm sure they are well aware of the views of their customers and the mass exodus if this was implemented.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
@adiewoo, To me it makes more commercial sense to rule it out permanently, who wants to be with a ISP who change there mined, when you could be stuck with them for 18 months.

It may make commercial sense to *you*, but you are not the CEO of a national ISP. Wink
"The only constant in business is change"
The intention may be to never introduce it, but no business can offer a cast iron guarantee that they never will.
Businesses making people redundant today would have said 12mths ago that it was not in their plans to do so - they could not have offered a cast iron guarantee though.
There needs to be a degree of pragmatism about the realities of business guys.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Any attempt bt PN to Phormorise themselves wouldt be a desperate attempt to stave off bankruptcy.
It would be like selling your database of customers personal details to a third party.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: taxiesofevil
Any attempt bt PN to Phormorise themselves

Freudian slip Jeremy Wink Smiley
Anthony's response is a carefully considered and worded business statement. Little more than would be expected from a man in his position.
That is not criticism it's simple fact as James_G said.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine