cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As it happens

whistler
Grafter

As it happens

Well after several years of generally good broadband with PN it finally died yesterday. One minute I was happily surfing away and then nothing. After checking everything myself, this morning I logged onto the PN online trouble shooter (from elsewhere obviously) and went through the full process.
Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked so this process ended with PN saying they'd do some line checks over the next 24 hours and if necessary send out the engineers. All good so far. I'm perfectly happy with that as a response.
So why this post? Well I see this sort of issue happening here on the forum with - well let's say mixed reviews. So, rather than wait and see what happens and then come here if it goes pear-shaped I thought I'd "blog" it here as it happens. Hopefully it will be a brief story with a happy ending. Stay tuned  :).
Cheers
15 REPLIES 15
whistler
Grafter

Re: As it happens

OK - just read my ticket and it has been determined that:
Our tests have found a fault with your broadband service.

So it's not me - which is nice  Smiley
However my hopes that this would be a brief story seem to have been somewhat optimistic as the last update on my ticket timed at 12:37 today is:
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Friday 10th January at 12:00pm. This ticket will remain open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time.

Surely I must be misunderstanding this. Surely PN are not going to shelve this until Friday before doing anything further?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nope, we're going to get this tested asap. When you look at your router, is the broadband light on solidly or is it off/flashing?
The tests we've done so far are reporting no sync to the exchange.
Are you seeing any problems with your phone service?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
whistler
Grafter

Chris - Thanks for your reply.
I'm slightly confused though. Are you taking ownership of this now? i.e. do I come here to YOU for responses or do I monitor my ticket. Don't get me wrong - I'll take help on this where I can get it as long as we don't end up talking cross purposes etc. and duplicating the process in several different places.
This confusion appears to be already happening because the two questions you've just asked were already asked by your online trouble-shooter. The answers I gave were:
The BB light is flashing and the phone is fine with a nice clear dial tone.
I'll just add here the other info that I've already given on this.
I've plugged the router into the test socket
My router is a MicraDigital F5D7630-4A-E but I've also tested with a Thomson TG585-V8 (borrowed for an hour from a neighbour).
Cheers
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The ticket is the best place, however I just like to ensure we've got the correct answers (plus it helps anyone who isn't a staff member that may want to help).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
whistler
Grafter

@Chris - thanks
Shortly after your earlier reply my ticket was updated by Adam (Walker) with a page of test results.
A short while later he updated my ticket to say that the fault has been raised with your suppliers and that a response is "expected" within 72 hours. Oh well - looks like it's going to be Thursday rather than Friday but at least I know it's not just been shelved until Friday. If that was down to your intervention you have my thanks.
In the meantime a question: The word "expected" perhaps implies it's not guaranteed. What does your SLA with your suppliers say HAS to be their response time?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The response when it comes could be that they want to book an engineer's appointment.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@whistler I've just updated ticket 79499259 for you, an engineer has been assigned to perform a lift and shift at the exchange by the end of the day on the 11th.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
whistler
Grafter

@Adam - Thanks for the update
whistler
Grafter

My BB was brought back up again on Sat afternoon. The BT engineer called me after doing his "lift n shift" to check all was OK.
All in all I'm happy with the good service I've received from both PN and BT. Thankyou.
Soon as I get a response to my (Saturday) update to my ticket I'll be happy for it to close.
Cheers
whistler
Grafter

well it seems a shame but after your good service up to now on this particular issue PN, you appear to have chosen to just ignore my last question on my ticket. Makes no sense to me - you were on a winner here and you just got sloppy. You were going to get a 5 star but now I'm downgrading that to a 3.  Tongue
If anyone's interested: The problem was a hardware fault at the exchange - so before it let the smoke out I was regularly getting a sizzling 5Mb/s but since the problem was fixed I'm getting around 3Mb/s.  So my (ignored) ticket question was: Am I correct in assuming this should automatically rise over the next day or so or is it something you (PN) can resolve earlier?
(PS it's now 5 days since the fix with no improvement in download speed).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just updated the ticket for you, sorry for the delay on that one. Hope it helps.
whistler
Grafter

Hi Matt - thanks for your reply - it seems however your "update" to my ticket was to close it.
If I then look at "questions closed in the last seven days" there is no sign of it - all I get is two notices about payment and one dated two days ago saying "Bandwidth usage has been reset" - none of which have I seen before. Crazy

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Odd. Yes, I closed it, sorry about that - should have sent it back to you instead. For brevity though here's the reply:
"Dear whistler,
I've requested an SNR reset for you which will allow the line to retrain at its best possible speed now the connection fault has been resolved, that should improve the speed by around mid afternoon - please let us know how it goes, thanks.
Kind regards,
Matt Taylor"
whistler
Grafter

Just checked and I'm now getting just over 5Mb/s so back to *normal* - thanks. You may NOW close my ticket - oops - too late.
Just by the bye  - my next door neighbour (who incidentally has his router several sockets away from the main socket) gets a regular 6+Mb/s - that's hardly fair is it  Cheesy