cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

Justin7
Grafter

Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

Personally I think Plusnet should provide a better router or at least an option to upgrade it so I thought I'd start a poll!
40 REPLIES 40
lonespeaker
Grafter

Re: Are you satisfied with the Plusnet router tg582n ?

I've voted yes simply because the router does exactly what it says on the tin Smiley  The only thing I would prefer is an all-in-one modem & router so I don't have two devices plugged in all the time.
darklight
Grafter

The tg582n works fine but the wifi is not great, so i went and got myself a flashy Asus N66U which blows tg582n wifi signal out the water, but the tg582n does what it needs to do.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

For a FREE router it does ok, if you want performance then you have to start spending money £70-120ish depending on what you need.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
njay
Grafter

Its not free as they charge you £5.99 for delivery Tongue I have had this "discussion" with mobile phone suppliers who say the phone is free when they charge you £30pm but elsewhere have the same minutes etc on sim only for £10. So you are charging me £20 for the phone per month too lol.
Also, seeing as they will charge you an additional £40 if you leave early and don't return it that also implies its not our property either until out of contract
Why they don't just put the early exit charge up to £45.99 is a puzzzling LOL

Anyway. I will no doubt get an Asus N66u as they looks good. Might just hold out (reconfig my old tp-link 8690n for EWAN) until they hit £99 though. £8 to go LOL
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Would be nice if PN gave the option of another router , for a fee of course .
then each customer would have a choice  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
apjashley1
Grafter

I don't think there's an option to return it, if you leave early you're paying the £40 and that's that
StevieK
Dabbler

well all i can say is the talk talk router that next door has gives a solid 100% signal on my PS3 in my upstairs office  Grin (spare bedroom) where as this FTTC Plusnet one only gets 67% & fluctuates badly also the signal on Talk Talk one next door has to go thru the main dividing wall between the houses which includes the fireplace so almost like double thickness they are only a few feet apart on opposite sides of the wall. so not really sure why the plusnet router struggles so badly with far less obstructions in the way.  Sad
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@StevieK
Have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if this helps?
steveuk
Grafter

Happy with mine although i don't personaly use the wireless but friends that connect when they are here never moan about drop outs or anything so yeah all in all happy with this router.
StevieK
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
@StevieK
Have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if this helps?

I have now tried changing the wireless channel & it has improved the signal strength a little still not quite the 100% from next door but I managed to get it up to between 80 & 85 % now, seems to work better on Manual than Automatic which I did have it set to, now getting connection speeds of 9.6mbs Download & 3.4 Mbs Upload on the Connection speed test on the PS3 , I really should have tried this before  Embarrassed so cheers Chris for your help. the only things I can say now is I still find slightly disappointing about this router is that it is supplied for 80-20 FTTC but does not seem to be able to achieve anywhere near these speeds if you connect to it by wireless, im not sure if it has a gigabit port like the BT Homehub 3 seems to have on it, but you would have thought that would have been a preferable thing to have on it as standard so you can take full advantage the superfast Broadband connection I now have  Smiley  
njay
Grafter

Its a modified ADSL 10/100 router at the end of the day and whilst having a gigabit connection would be good its not going to make any difference to wifi.  Even our current 80/20 product is still within its capabilities. The wifi though is not good and I can only put that down to lack of external aerials as both my DG834 and 8960n had at least one that could be orienated to help. I have tried turning the whole unit sideways but not much mprovement and running wifi scans and manually swapping channels has helped a bit but when routers from other peoples houses have a stronger signal (we are all detached houses so not even through a wall ;)) and my little nano router acting as a repeater in a different room beats it too when I'm stood next to the 582n, its just time to admit defeat on my part and get something else LOL
StevieK
Dabbler

Hi njay I do understand that the Gigabit port would make no difference to the wireless performance, the comment about the lack of at least one gigbit port was more aimed at for using with my media streamer as HD content can be a wee bit hit & miss at times, after all if BT can provide one on the Home Hub 3 then why not this one  Huh I keep looking at the ASUS RT-N66U myself but its a bit to expensive for my blood atm  Cry
daimonde

I was about to post a query on here cos ive had a ticket open for 6weeks+ now, frankly replies seem quicker on here than on the ticket !
I think my problems are due to the router, when i found this thread. Ive had issues with gaming (previously posted about), very slow speeds and wifi losing connection, all of which i think are due to the router. So, no not satisfied !
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi daimonde,
As suggested above, have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if that helps?