cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you capping my up sync plusnet?? Not cool

KitFox
Grafter

Are you capping my up sync plusnet?? Not cool

Now before i go on, I know i'm pushing my limit this month and i'm quite happy with limitations being placed on my downspeed, after all i'm the one who went over
However if you are capping my upstream which is current at 0.05Mpbs according to the bt speedtest and at 96Kbps (SNR of 6db / Attenuation of 28.5db) {as an aside whis is my up attenuation 28.5 while my downsteam attenuation is 48 ??} according to my router, you are really taking the proverbial as its pretty much making any secure session impossible to use
Want to use online banking, oh wait, no you cant as the session will have ended before you can even get past the login script.
And i have restarted my router several times, i even forced a line reset with no damn joy.  Hell i got quicker internet on a 56K modem in 2000 than i'm getting now, how is it possible to go backwards in progress?Huh
18 REPLIES 18
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Are you capping my up sync plusnet?? Not cool

Hi KitFox,
Your line currently has a capped upload, this is how are products are currnently provisioned, it's also something we'd like to change.
I've placed a modify order to uncap your upload which will complete on Monday for you.
KitFox
Grafter

Many thanks Chris Smiley  
I am happy thats its possible to change this, but limiting the up in such an extreme fashion as has happened to me shouldnt really occur.  
I understand that providing services means placing limitations, but 96kbps??  
Can I ask was the limit in response to filling my limit ?   if so wouldnt it be a better option to cap the downstream to the governments minimum 2mbps speed (or other speed determination, according to what you can provide/cap down to) which would place limitations on streaming / downloading etc without risking functionality of secure session sites?
EDIT: While i'm asking questions, cant plusnet put some pressure on BT to include my exchange in the upgrade path??  We havent seen any increase in service for years despite new houses going up increasing contention & the current BT upgrade path seems to leave us in the lurch well until after 2020.  Its not as though my local exchange is miles in the middle of nowhere either Sad Sad
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think Chris answered a different question to what you were asking!
It seems like you are syncing at that rate, rather than anything we are doing to limit your upstream speeds.  We're having a dig.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Ok, I think you need to raise fault on this.  Go to http://faults.plus.net and fill in the form and we'll pick up.
Kelly Dorset
KitFox
Grafter

Before I do fill in the fault report Kelly, I've just looked and noticed that my router has reconnected with a much better up sync speed since Chris' response
Certainly frustrated over the last couple of days over it, but no clue if it will appear again,  should I still fill the fault report in ?
Very thankful for the investigation you two are putting into this Cheesy
EDIT: Always the way, as soon as you decide to take action over a problem the damn thing goes and disappears on you, will fill a report in if thats the best way to find out the problem
EDIT2:  Up sync currently at : 448Kbps / SNR 12db
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: KitFox
EDIT: While i'm asking questions, cant plusnet put some pressure on BT to include my exchange in the upgrade path??  We havent seen any increase in service for years despite new houses going up increasing contention & the current BT upgrade path seems to leave us in the lurch well until after 2020.  Its not as though my local exchange is miles in the middle of nowhere either Sad Sad

Lots of areas of the country are getting access to FTTC through funding from BDUK (broadband delivery UK) which is a fund leftover from digital switchover which is being used to rollout superfast broadband. Lots of areas of the country have already signed deals. I'll PM you a link (click My Messages at the top) to what's happening in your area.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Kelly
Hero

The initial checks I ran suggested that your upstream sync rate had varied quite a bit recently.  Perhaps the bad weather is causing some problems with overhead lines etc?
If your speeds are back, leave it to next week when Chris's upcapping order completes and lets see how fast your upstream goes and make a call then!
Kelly Dorset
KitFox
Grafter

Thank you both Smiley 
Kelly - I will keep a close eye on it over the next week then and see what happens & keep you posted on it with this thread Smiley
Dave - Would love to see details of what's happening in my area Smiley  from what i've been able to find online my exchange seem unloved & ignored Sad  again its one of those annoying frustrations about how things have evolved with the infrastructure for providing internet conenctivity

I'm sure my blood pressure is slowly returning to normal now.  i'd really suck as a diploamt,  no middle gears at all :S
Kelly
Hero

btw Kitfox, you're still on quite an old product.  Are you sure it's still right for you?   The new Unlimited package would work out cheaper I believe.
Kelly Dorset
KitFox
Grafter

I'm unsure of what would be better, so I've stuck with what I know
We only need a data connection & some of the members of the household work unsocialable hours and stil lwant to use the internet a fair bit.
things like the static IP & domain hosting would be kind of important for us to keep
What would be better ? 
Can you email or message me details about better packages, with the same options?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A quick reply
Moving to one of the new products would not affect the various freebies which you have including fixed IP address, domain hosting
Assuming you are a moderately heavy user - more than 10GB per month then the unlimited product may be best.
Note I think that moving to one of the new products will carry a £2.50 per month surcharge if you don't have the phone with Plusnet
KitFox
Grafter

Manythanks for all of the help to all teh plusnet staff & oldjim Smiley
I have put in a change to the newer unlimited product which will change onthe next billing date Smiley
Smiley  My faith in customer service is very much restored plusnet, have some virtual pints on me Smiley
KitFox
Grafter

Hi PN Folks Smiley
So I've kept an eye on my connection over the weekend and noticed that occasionally it will connect at what is a normal sync speed (around 440kbps) but after maybe half an hour at most, the connection will drop and it will reconnect at a significantly lower speed
today my sync speed is standing at 73Kbps / SNR 8.1dB / Attenuation 28.6dB / Output Power 11.6dBm
btspeedtest is reporting an upspeed of 0.03Mbps
As before my down sync & speed appears mostly unaffected, only minor flucuations which can be caused by the reconnects so i'm not overly concerned at that
As Kelly suggested I have put in a request to change to the newer unlimited package and should happen on the 20th, my next billing date.  However what is causing the slow speed ?  I'd like it sorted so it doesnt  carry over onto the new contract connection.  Also is it worth reporting with the scheduled change?
I will not be happy if i have to suffer this all bloody winter!!!
KitFox
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi KitFox,
Your line currently has a capped upload, this is how are products are currnently provisioned, it's also something we'd like to change.
I've placed a modify order to uncap your upload which will complete on Monday for you.

Has the uncap order gone through ok?