cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

Hi again Anotherone.
Ok so net in use and not allowed to stop that for the moment so what I've done so far is:
Run router lite with the setting you said.
Change the DNS to google ones as suggested by WWWombat....and have forced the router to use those ones rather the ISP DHCP seved ones as it would otherwise do by default.
Will check for ring wires touching when I'm allowed here  Roll_eyes
I also measured what would be a shorter extension cable run if I was to make one up myself and even that comes in at 15metres (avoiding going through stud wall etc), so heaven only knows the current run which is def longer.
If you think of anything else I should do please shout, otherwise I will update when I've checked the ringwires again.
Thanks once again,
G.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Only to post up some Noise Margin graphs then, when you get a chance.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi,
Here's the noise trace since I started the monitor this morning....
After the retstart it seems to have done in the wee hrs, SNR start at 3.5 interestingly..
G.
Anotherone
Champion

Are you aware of anything changing or switching on just after 0950, or a change in the weather. It could be totally insignificant as a minor change in SNRM between 3 & 3.5 would cause that appearance as your modem/router is only reporting in 0.5dB steps.
grahamn
Rising Star

Cannot think of anything at that time....lights went on about 1035 because of failing light. The weather is deteriorating - getting quite dark. Another computer is on in the next room along, but was on before that time and uses a wireless connection.
Mobile phone used at 1000 and 1030. No CH in use at present.
Can't think of anything else for now.
grahamn
Rising Star

Update: have attached latest SNR graph. The earliest time was the hr I had the plusnet supplied Thomson on the line - higher speed (1Kbps) and a higher SNR 3.5 v 3. Only two dips in the hr one by .5 and one by a whole db. Neither lasted long and neihter was noticed at the time. Two gaps follow when I swapped the Draytek back in, and then again took it down to change a filter "just in case". As can be seen, numerous dips of .5db in the SNR. Feels slower then the Thomson and if it was't for needing the FSX Voip ports I'd have left the Thomson connected....only .5  so still marginal.
grahamn
Rising Star

and worse again....
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't have been too concerned about 0.5dB dips in SNRM but for the fact that you were experiencing these slowdowns in throughput. Are you still seeing this?
This slowdown won't have anything to do with wiring per se and if you aren't seeing "Uncorrected blocks" at significant levels when this is happening (as you were previously) this suggests some sort of modem/router issue.
The point of doing a factory reset as I suggest in a PM was to ensure that any inadvertent (or otherwise) setting changes that may influence the issue are removed. I'm wondering whether some of these implied "settings" that you may be making connected with use of the VoIP may have something to do with it. Are you setting QoS for example?
When you see/saw these slowdowns, is the VoIP in use at the time and is/was it affected? Are/were any other devices/computers connected seeing slowdowns?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: grahamn
and worse again....

What's worse again? That noise margin graph looks about as good as it gets. Don't forget your router is only reporting with an accuracy of 0.5 so the flips between 2.5 and 3.0 might represent it oscillating between 2.74 and 2.76! Over the whole period the variation looks to less than 1db which is peanuts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
grahamn
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
I wouldn't have been too concerned about 0.5dB dips in SNRM but for the fact that you were experiencing these slowdowns in throughput. Are you still seeing this?
This slowdown won't have anything to do with wiring per se and if you aren't seeing "Uncorrected blocks" at significant levels when this is happening (as you were previously) this suggests some sort of modem/router issue.
The point of doing a factory reset as I suggest in a PM was to ensure that any inadvertent (or otherwise) setting changes that may influence the issue are removed. I'm wondering whether some of these implied "settings" that you may be making connected with use of the VoIP may have something to do with it. Are you setting QoS for example?
When you see/saw these slowdowns, is the VoIP in use at the time and is/was it affected? Are/were any other devices/computers connected seeing slowdowns?

Hi again!
The reset was done. the QoS is as per default for the fsx ports,  (I'll attach a screenshot in a bit). I have set this up in the past for various traffic types, but it wasn't set recently as I'd put it back to defaults long before the ADSL2 migration and problems started. I believe the Draytek always give QoS priority to calls irrespective.
The slowdown/complete freezes occurred yesterday again on two computers and but it's timing seems random. Voip has never been in use when it's occurred. I also saw yesterday the effect of my wife using a cheap ipod charger on a power socket that's through the wall from the router and the uncorrected blocks went mad, but good to see the SNR went up with it. Plugged hoover into same socket and nothing, no errors.
Which kind of brings me onto Jelv's question as well. To my understanding one wants as much clear air between noise and data as you can, given the trade-off against throughput. To my mind, having gone from 6 on ADSL1, to 3db on ADSL2 is fine, but when it dips to  2 and even 1 at points yesterday, delays etc are apparent - which to my mind is packet resends to be corrected, due to corruption (uncorrected). So I don't (maybe wrongly) regard 2.5 db margin as necessarily good. That says to me , your data is b***** close to the noise  Undecided Do please correct me if this is wrong.
So that's where we are right now. Also, the cheap n cheerful Thomson is getting a whole 1db higher than the Draytek at any point in time.
Also got your PM about the cabling and agree with what you say...so holding fire on that too. Phew! Time for a cuppa now as I've just got in...screenshot any minute...
Oh and once again, Many thanks!
PS: Just purchased the adsl nation XF-1e's as belt and braces...yet to fit them.
Anotherone
Champion

Not having any personal knowledge of that Draytek, it's difficult for me to be sure, but I'd guess that with no Corrected Blocks you might be on FastPath and as long as the Uncorrected Blocks count isn't going bananas with low SNRM that is something. ADSL2+ can work happily with these lower SNRM's that's why it can have a Target of 3dB. But in this case it might mean that the modem is having to work extremely hard with bit swapping or whatever, that it then can't handle throughput. I was doing a bit of googling and there is some issue with ADSL2+ but I wasn't able to find the detail in the time I was looking. I'll see whether I can point any more knowledgeable folk on this sort of problem over to have a look.
Does the throughput problem only ever occur when the SNRM goes very low?
grahamn
Rising Star

I'd say typically yes to low SNRM = poor throughput. But when the freeze happened last time it was 3db...so doesn't completely tally.
I am toying with the "go for broke" option and trying a Draytek 2850Vn and seeing how it copes with the line as the 2800VG was never that brilliant at ADSL2+ and wonder if this is what I'm experiencing? As you say, it's more and more pointing to the modem with the "lockups"..it's as though the router loses control of the LAN side after a while or some event occurs that has that effect.
Whatever I go for, I need the 2 FSX ports and I would want to switch to the 5Gig band for wireless and if I want to do all that, I may as well future proof it for FTTC connection/Infinity.
Sledgehammer to crack a nut? Almost certainly. But my wife's business depends on the voip and router working 24/7 for her online retail emporium  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

I hope some of her profits help pay for this luxury new equipment  Wink
I'll try and point a few this way for comment.
The Bits/Tone spectrum looks fine by the way. Apart from the gap (complete missing tone) around tone 74 which is probably  Switch Mode Power Supply related (nothing to worry about at all - lots of us get such gaps) all the other gaps are due to an oddity related to the particular MSAN at the exchange, there's an interesting thread a few months back about it.
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks for that. Already had that word about the cost of it all...cough, cough...  Wink
Hopefully someone you point this way may be able to add something into the mix, so appreciate you doing that.
In interesting note about about the missing tones, but nothing to worry about which is good.
As an aside, if anyone knows of any good training org that's offering CCNA training, ideally distance learning or boot camp, I'm all ears ...Off topic I know.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Not sure if I can add too much to what's already been said but here goes...
As Anotherone says, there seem to be some 'issues' with the 2800 and ADSL2+ but nothing particularly concrete. There is at least one report of the alternative firmware on the Draytek site http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html improving matters. For what it's worth I run a pair of 2820's to provide a VPN between our main office and a clients site. That site is ADSL2+ on 21CN and works fine ( the connection here is via the WAN port into our existing router so not ADSL as far as the 2820 goes ).
As to the 2850, well it looks like a pretty well spec'd piece of kit and, as you say, it's got VDSL support for FTTC. You might also look at the Fritzbox 7390 http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=14700, I've heard good reports of that.  We have one in our Dutch office on ADSL2+ supplied by the local ISP and it works fine on a not very good line ( about 4Mb ). We don't use Voip on it ( yet! ) but do use VPN.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.