cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Are these uncorrected errors excessive?

TBB Monitor snapshot here....
My Broadband Ping
At 0530 this morning SNR was stil low about 2 and
response was very slow/inactive when opening a web page.
Now router stats show       RX Blocks Corrected Blocks Uncorrected Blocks
                                                2121680                 0                             178936
after link uptime of 13h 52m SNR 3.0
ADSL Status Mode State      Up Speed    Down Speed    SNR    Margin Loop Att.
  ADSL2+ SHOWTIME          1063800        13862300       3.0          25.0

grahamn
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
What was the noise margin when it restarted? My guess is that it will be 3 and that you have a lower sync speed and that tomorrow during the day you'll see the noise margin much higher. That might mean that you see less errors and a more stable line (until the next daytime sync when you'll be back to square one).

It was 3 initially, but by 0530 it was 1.5 - 2 and not looking very "happy". i.e. web pages took forever to load. I wish it would go above 3 to give some headroom. In the good old ADSL1 days it was rock steady with about 6.
grahamn
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
You will find your error rate is much better now, having had a resync whilst your SNRM was so low, as it will have gone back to the Target value (3dB presumably) albeit with a slightly lower sync speed. (Invariably altering most modem/router settings needs a reboot/resync).

Error rate still seems high? Not sure what you think (new screen shot loaded in previous post)?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you are still experiencing throughput issues, I'd be inclined to do a resync when your SNRM is at it's very lowest. You will get a slightly lower sync speed, but with what you've got that really shouldn't be too much of an issue.
If you continue to have issues you could request Plusnet to set your minimum Target SNRM to 6dB, with the consequential slower sync speed, however, my suspicion is that you have some interference/noise issues which might be best investigated first as your current sync speed is a bit low for the attenuation.
grahamn
Rising Star

Throughput seems to be suffering, but not all the time When it is suffering : i.e You get a "connecting" on the IE tab for ages taking a very long time without getting a "not found" message and then it can be slow to load, and sometimes it never does! Other times it seems ok.Even just now at SNR of 3 it took a while to load a page.
The noise bit could be fun as in our place it has always been an old style PO connection box with a "fly lead" to a white box (laways been that wy, but with ring wire removed a couple of yrs ago)..On the two occasions BT have attended here over the years, they've lways given the line a clean bill of health....but not test socket etc here.
jim:quote

WWWombat
Grafter

Hmmm. I was expecting to see some blocks of red (ie packet loss) at a time when you were getting poor throughput - certainly for a longer period than the few spikes that are visible, and more correlated with the time you notice the problem (05:30). How long did the "unhappy" period last?
As for the error rate... It is still hard to tell when looking at a single snapshot. What we need to see are snapshots at the beginning and end of both a "normal" period and an "unresponsive" period - we need to see how the error rates differ between the two.
Otherwise, do as @Anotherone suggests. By re-syncing at a time when the SNRM is at it's lowest, you are making sure that the modem gives itself as much headroom as possible for future unresponsive times.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: grahamn
i.e You get a "connecting" on the IE tab for ages taking a very long time without getting a "not found" message

That "not found" issue could turn out to be a DNS issue - perhaps with the router, or perhaps upstream.
There are some things you could try, to see if that is part of the problem.
- Configure the router with Plusnet's DNS servers - even if it gets the right DNS server addresses when the router authenticates at the start of a connection.
- Configure the router with OpenDNS servers
- Configure the router with Google's DNS servers
- Configure the PC with Plusnet's DNS servers - and bypass the automatic configuration from DHCP (which would try to use the router as DNS server)
- Configure the PC with OpenDNS servers
- Configure the PC with Google's DNS servers
Plusnet:
OpenDNS:
Google:
It could be a browser issue too - so I might suggest trying Firefox or Chrome, just to see.
Certainly you can see the different phases of looking-up addresses, to connecting.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks everyone.
I will certainly restart the router at its low point tonight.
Unfortunately I don't know what happened after the early morning problem as I was straight out the door soon after until this afternoon.
Am I right in assuming that the noise is more than likely, interfering with the traffic with SNR margin drops to 1.5 - 2?
Is there anything that would result in these uncorrected errors in the total absence of any corrected ones - seems odd to me????
Thanks again guys...will keep you updated  Roll_eyes
PS. to WWWombat's latest post (after I started this one)..the "not found" message never actually comes.... also re alternate DNS, Draytek seems to ignore the DNS IPs you can specify once the router is connected. I guess if I telnet in there may be  an override in there somewhere...
The browser seems the same whatever, but will try another machine on my network  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Regarding the wiring, is the "fly" lead CW1308 spec. Is the incoming BT cable CW1411 (black round sheath ~5.3mm dia.).
Are the connections in the P.O connection box clean and tight - but don't do anything with them if they aren't - is there any audible noise using the phone?
grahamn
Rising Star

P.O  connections were clean and tight last time I checked (ages ago)  and are not the most accessible/visible bit of wiring with a few inches protruding from a solid concrete floor with the box screwed to skirting board inside a cupboard (1971 build property !!!)   Roll_eyes
The cable sounds like CW1411, but I will have a look now if I can find a torch!
No noise that I'm aware of (DECT phones in use connected to the socket in the hall (with a filter of course) ...will try the quiet line test 17070 or something like that?
grahamn
Rising Star

Hmmm Incoming BT cable seem fairly large diameter, clear sheath showing shielding underneath!
The fly lead could well be the CW 1308 but I may have to try and take a pic to let you see (you may be horrified!).....

Phew, finally just got back online - each PC taking about 1 min to load google search, then another minute to pload plusnet pages and another for the community site page and so on........
Quiet line test seems to have a feint rapid pulsing noise, not sure how else to describe it? But it is feint my wife says and her hearing is better than mine (normally!)  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

The i/c cable looks like those used on underground feeds. Cable from PO junction box looks ok (CW1308), but what is that "thing" that's plugged into the  socket and what's plugged into the thing!
grahamn
Rising Star

I thought you'd ask me that  Smiley
The thing is one of the extension wiring plug -ins.....the underground cable (makes sense as they are underground - no poles here)
feeds into the socket from the right-hand side. Immediately plugged into that plugin is a filter, then our DECT base station goes into that (but was using a regular wired phone for the quiet test).
The router has been used both directly into that "master" socket and on the end of the ext wiring - values are the same at both the master  socket and the ext wiring end (believe it or not!).
Anotherone
Champion

Are you sure the values were the same at both ends (with the "thing" unplugged). Because sync speed and noise margin could well be different.
Speed tests are a waste of time because profiles have to 'catch-up'.
That "thing" could be the cause of some noise, because even if it is twisted pair cable, which some are, but very few, it will undoubtedly have a bell wire in it. The best way to assess it is to look at the back of the socket on the other end. What colour wires on what terminal numbers?
Was the DECT still on, or plugged in when you did the quiet line test, that was probably what was causing the pulsing noise.
Try this first - look at you rnoise margin and then switch off the DECT base station and all handsets and see what happens to the noise margin.
grahamn
Rising Star

Quiet line test still had base station and phones powered on.
As suggested have now switched base st. off and all handsets.
SNR before this was 3 and remains at 3, but you were spot on about the pulsing noise  - now gone  Smiley