cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are any PN routers vulnerable to the 'new' UPnP exploit?

itsme
Grafter

Re: Are any PN routers vulnerable to the 'new' UPnP exploit?

or dynamic
Razer
Grafter

And I've just realised what this whole thread is about. It makes me so angry because for gaming, for example, the advice is always forward such and such ports on your router and MAKE SURE upnp is enabled. Now it's just another way to say to people 'make your computer even more vulnerable'. It's always: turn off your firewall, disable your anti-virus, open your ports, run java, enable upnp. etc. etc.'
Why don't they just say 'hey, listen, just bend over.'
What IS the point of security measures when all advice is to disable security measures and enable insecurity measures?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Well, you need to get grumpy at the game designers really.  I believe this is because they are saving cash by having players host games rather than game servers.  After all, an attack is someone getting traffic to your device inside your private network.  That's identical to hosting a game with a bunch of players out on the internet.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Plusnet Thomson TG585 v8
Congratulations! Your router did not respond to a UPnP discovery request.
and
Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: billnotben
Plusnet Thomson TG585 v8
Congratulations! Your router did not respond to a UPnP discovery request.

Thomson ST585v6 passed OK.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Well, you need to get grumpy at the game designers really.  I believe this is because they are saving cash by having players host games rather than game servers.  After all, an attack is someone getting traffic to your device inside your private network.  That's identical to hosting a game with a bunch of players out on the internet.

I do, especially where it comes to DRM and requiring online access (which is another issue, of course), but that was just an example. It seems that nowadays with any problem a person may be having, whatever its nature, the first advice one always finds is 'disable your firewall and anti-virus software'. So it's not just game developers. In fact it seems to be just about every program maker and 'technical support' setup out there.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thread temporarily locked while I sort it out
Unlocked after splitting off the posts about rDNS http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111654.16.html