Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet supplying me with an acceptable 'service'

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Are Plusnet supplying me with an acceptable 'service'

As another poster commented those router stats and associated timeframe suggest the DLM at the exchange has increased your target noise margin to 18dB to try to stabilise the connection on what it regards as a very poor line.  When you did the BT test the router was synced at 160kbps. Syncing is done between your router and the DSLAM at the exchange, so the source of the problem has to be in that section of the connection.
So it seems to me BT (not PlusNet) are making a hash of sorting that out. Unless, of course they've now done so in which case you should find your connection will no longer drop and resync.  Then in 3 days your IP Profile will increase to 1000kbps and throughput will be based on that (rather than the 135kbps associated with that previous 160kbps sync).  In time the target noise margin will also decrease allowing higher speed syncs up to the 2500-3500kbps you might get with your line attenuation.
David
s29feb
Dabbler

Maybe I should change the therm service to 'internet experience'.
I don't mean customer service (and never said so) - that has been fine. I'm talking about the purchase of a service i.e. I want to 'buy' an internet service from Plusnet.
From that I want to be able to fully use todays internet and I don't think I should have to wait hours for TF2 to update from steam servers (days to download) and I should never ever experience lag. I want to be able to have several tabs open in browsers, view photo content without it coming down one line at a time over several minutes and I should be able to look at video's on demand without having to wait hours sometimes for them to download - just about everything todays internet is about?
I am a legacy customer because as said been with them since 2003 and they want £309 for me to use my MAC code to migrate.
I would chance my 'luck' elsewhere because I'm fed up going from pillar to post, BT - Plusnet. It has now been several months, many wasted days off work for engineers to visit and still there is no resolution apart from maybe having to go on a 512k service that I don't think will give me the level of internet experince I'm looking for?
If it is a fault with BT then I expect the chain to kick in - that is essentially I 'buy' from Plusent who in turn 'buy' from BT so it is up to them to 'sort' it with BT. This is the way it works in every other area?
Finally Plusnet are still charging me for this - I think even a discout on my monthly fee until the problem is rectified could have gone a long way here, however I'm still paying for 'Premier Option 1'. I would hate not to be receiving a 'premier' service  Sad
spraxyt - what you say has all happned previously, if you look at my Plusnet spped test earlier the stats where on the up but just as quick I cna be back to cr@pola for days.
I have ben running the router stats fro last 30 mins and the line is as flat as a pancake at 17db - will post image later.
hulls
Grafter

I voted "yes" because as far as I can see, Plusnet is trying to sort the issues out.  I would be unhappy with your speeds as well, but my experience is that if Plusnet has a problem, they put their hands up and admit it.
Also in my experience BT is very limited in its customer service.  I'm very surprised that you had a line relaid, if there was no problem with it (fellow veteran or not).  That's a lot of work (even if the line was above ground, which I suspect it isn't since this is a new development).
John
(edit: s29feb your last response came in while was typing.  I understand your frustration.  I would feel the same.  Surely someone must be able to sort the issues out, and you purchase the service from Plusnet, so they should get BT to sort it.  I'm confused about the charges.  I've never heard of that before.
John
s29feb
Dabbler

Quote from: hulls
  I'm very surprised that you had a line relaid, if there was no problem with it (fellow veteran or not).  That's a lot of work (even if the line was above ground, which I suspect it isn't since this is a new development).
John

From what he said he essentially swapped me to new wires from BT junction box to exchange. With this being a new development  and with still some flats to sell at the time I think there would have been capacity there? Anyway did this as a 'just in case' as I was told the original was fine?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've had a look through the history on this account and can see the massive ongoing fault ticket. Following this through it seems that we have been chasing this with BT escalations and have come to the point where they will cease the service if the fault is escalated back, hence why it has been suggested that you move on to a static 1mb service.
As the line is the property of BT unfortunately this is not something over which we have any control.
I would suggest either moving the service back to a static 1mb to see if it will hold a stable connection (which it is currently not doing) or, possibly, reraising this issue to BT faults and hoping that something will have changed.
I'm quite happy to take either path, please let me know what you'd prefer to do?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: s29feb
I have ben running the router stats fro last 30 mins and the line is as flat as a pancake at 17db - will post image later.
Please keep it running until you hit problems, specially overnight.
In my expersience  usual time things go bad is from lighting up time until about 3.00am on my line
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: s29feb
I am a legacy customer because as said been with them since 2003 and they want £309 for me to use my MAC code to migrate.
Did you take up the latest special offer of reduced fees with a 12 month contract.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

but an annual contract reverts to monthly after 12 months
if the OP took up the offer in September despite the problems then it is quite possible to have paid two months subscription since accepting it.
chillypenguin
Grafter

The reason that Oldjim is asking for you to keep the router stats running over night is that your S/N ratio may change during the day. Like in my case dipping over night.

If I look at my router stat's during the day it looks like I should get a higher speed connection.
Chilly
s29feb
Dabbler

I have had the 'premier option one' since 20/06/2005 and it is monthly subscription cost is  £21.99 but I get a discount for referrals so £21 pcm
The product has moved house with and last time would have been last december so I have almost been here for one year.
So I pay £21 per month and have been during all this, also I think £21 per month for a 1meg service is a bit much?
I have just went to Plusent site and 'upgraded' to Broadband Pro for gamers.... lets see if I can manage to play as a sniper in TF2 without having to second guess my lag and 'where' the player I'm trying to headshot will be?
s29feb
Dabbler

Quote from: orbrey
Hi there,
I've had a look through the history on this account and can see the massive ongoing fault ticket. Following this through it seems that we have been chasing this with BT escalations and have come to the point where they will cease the service if the fault is escalated back, hence why it has been suggested that you move on to a static 1mb service.
As the line is the property of BT unfortunately this is not something over which we have any control.
I would suggest either moving the service back to a static 1mb to see if it will hold a stable connection (which it is currently not doing) or, possibly, reraising this issue to BT faults and hoping that something will have changed.
I'm quite happy to take either path, please let me know what you'd prefer to do?

Hi,
So if I switch to a 1 meg connection will that be it permenantly? Also will I be expected to pay £21 per month for this?
chillypenguin
Grafter

The cost of a broadband service is not longer tied to its speed, but the download allowance that you chose.
Regrading to BBYW Pro, is not going to be a magic wand and sort out the line issues that you have.
What speed did you get from your line between December and July?
Chilly
James
Grafter

Hi,
This problem is completely and entirely related to your IP Profiling being set at 135Kbps, being caused by what appears to be an intermittent line fault causing resyncs at 160Kbps.
As you have mentioned, the master socket has been changed and I assume that all hardware, internal wiring and filtering has been tested.  What was the outcome of previous engineer visits apart from "no fault found"?  Were they able to replicate at any stage, the poor sync speeds that you have seen? (That's the connection speed your router is referring to).
s29feb
Dabbler

Well the latest is that Plusnet say they want to put me on a fixed 512k connection.
This is not a resolution to my pronlem/fault.
Before July my connection as fine, never really checked the speed because never felt the need to as it did everything I expected of it.
Since late July my my coonection has been dire.
Plusnet can blame BT all they want I don't care becuase I do not purchase the service from BT. I purchase it from Plusnet and it is up to them to to supply me with it.
It seems they can no longer supply me with the product I want and cannot offer me an expected timeframe for an acceptable resolution.
I have also just spent 20 mins on hold listening to 70's classics trying to actually speck to someone about this.
In my estimation they have broken their contract with me and I really do feel I should be at least able to try my luck elsewhere by them issuing my MAC code free of charge.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

They will issue with a MAC free of charge but what part of your contract have they broken? If you are on MAX it's an UPTO 8 meg depending on line quality. Your line quality is poor so you are only going to get the lower end speeds. There is nothing PlusNet can do about that.