cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet going to trial FTTC self-install soon?

AxeMurderer
Grafter

Are Plusnet going to trial FTTC self-install soon?

If so, I'm moving house next week and I'd be happy to volunteer!
18 REPLIES 18
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Are Plusnet going to trial FTTC self-install soon?

I believe it requires an ISP offering a combined VDSL2 modem/router (taking the BT Openreach modem out of the equation).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cdebley

Doesn't it still need to be activated at the cabinet?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes, just the same as a new provision of ADSL needing to be connected/activated at the exchange.  The self-install option would just avoid the need for an engineer to visit the customer's premises (so no waiting in for an engineer).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

I'm aware that PN have had some Thomson TG589vn v3 VDSL modem/routers to try. I'm offering to trial the self-install experience, if PN are ready to try it, for PN's benefit. There is nothing in it for me as I don't have a problem with an engineer visiting, and I don't need another router really. A combined modem/router would let me get rid of one box, and I'd be genuinely interested to see how the Thomson compares with my HG612/Billion 7800N combination.
deathtrap
Grafter

Well for the price you ain't going to get any bells & whistles http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=16234
And from reading some comments made by people who have used these, if would appear to still have a basic GUI no access to change DNS servers and other things that would allow the end user more a configurable router , and  it's wireless speed is only 300mbps and no GB switch , and no doubt it will be just like all the other Thompson routers complete with  port forwarding that often wont work, or won't even accept  what you input, Where as any other router will work flawlessly

I would sooner buy my own So i could configure it how i want to from within the built in gui   Also  there is no mention if the router will be compatible with vectoring , as BTOR  will probably roll this out , Which may mean that they won't be able to supply one of these should it not be  vector compatible
As the modem will have to be approved by BTOR
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Home Hub 5 discussion split off

Quote from: deathtrap
it's wireless speed is only 300mbps

Nope its 150Mb not 300. Its single band 2.4GHz.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The datasheet for the 589vn v3 says it supports ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector).
The datasheet strangely fails to mention the maximum wifi speed, but its certificate says it's the same as any other n300 2.4GHz wireless device, in that it has a maximum of 300Mbps using 40MHz of bandwidth on the 2.4GHz band.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK let me say that there is NO option to use dual bandwith in any of the settings I have seen. Maybe the spec sheet says differently but not on any of the http pages.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That's hardly unexpected from a Technicolor, most of the optional 11n features can also be enabled on the 582n via telnet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
We're performing some staff trials for this at the moment. AFAIK the first order went through yesterday.
I'm sure you guys will be amongst the first to know when this comes to being a customer trial. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HairyMcbiker
All Star

On checking via the telnet interface, you can enable 20/40Mhz mode, so it MAY do 300Mb, since I don't have any 300Mb equipment I can't test this.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

None of my comments relate to the HH5, they are all about the new router provided by PN for testing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry - fixed
Bigfoot

Hi Hairy biker,
Yes it will do (300 Mbps) when you enable 20/40 Mhz.
Had my TG 582n for three week's, had a range problem,
only picked up (1 to 2 Mbps) or (No signal) in WiFi mode.
Moved router 3m closer, but still router downstairs and
PC upstairs.
Telnet command to enable 20/40 Mbps, also
Telnet command to reduce dead spots in
wireless coverage (wireless radio ccd=enabled).
As of now (15.45pm) WiFi Status is stable at 300 Mbps.
later on (8pm) for sum reason the Wifi speed will fluctuate
from as low as 81 Mbps to 104 Mbps then 264 Mbps.
Even at 81 Mbps can still stream live HD video.
Never could with old 54 Mbps router, had to stick to SD video.
BF.