cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet blocking ports for uTorrent?

Azagoth
Grafter

Are Plusnet blocking ports for uTorrent?

My uTorrent client has been working just fine for months on end, yet today I fire it up and it won't connect at all.  So I tried the inbuilt port tester and each and every port I enter is blocked!  Can someone please explain why this is happening as I have a few files that I need to grab for work tomorrow.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
andyrogers
Grafter

Re: Are Plusnet blocking ports for uTorrent?

You may find that it is possibly related to this service status post here http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=archive under "Broadband Network Capacity - NEW" just over half way down the page.
I have been seeing a similar issue, but it has been getting better gradually.
Andy
Azagoth
Grafter

But that's dated 14/03/08 which is 10 days ago, uTorrent has been working fine up until today.  It's just very strange that no matter what port number I enter, uTorrent reports back that it's blocked.
Azagoth
Grafter

Nope, haven't changed product and after reading your post I've just checked the "Broadband Firewall" which is still in the "Off" position.
zubel
Community Veteran

Tried rebooting your router?
B.
Azagoth
Grafter

Not using a router, still using a Voyager 105 modem as Plusnet didn't feel I was applicable for to receive a router when I switched to BBYW Option 2.  Yet my mate, the referral on my account, got his completely free (including postage too) when he switched.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you gone over the usage allowance for your account type?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Azagoth
my mate, ....., got his completely free

It will only be free if he stays with PN for a year.
You could probably get one too under the same terms.
Maybe it's more obvious for new signups?
prichardson
Grafter

Azagoth,
On review, I can see that you did indeed raise a request in relation to the modem, to which our support team responded. Unfortunately, we didn't hear back from you and as a result could not proceed.
We can should you wish proceed still with this, supply the modem on your product on the deferred basis offered. Unlike the response at the time, the postage and packaging is £6.99 which is the only change to the response provided in your ticket.
In regards to your problems, having inspected the account there are no problems found with your account. Correct local and BT profiling is in place, you are connected and we can see the reconnects. There is no logical reason behind your inability to use this as no blocks are in place.
Azagoth
Grafter

Would you care to explain how my friend managed to get his router entirely free?  He swapped his package about 2 months back, phoned up to enquire about the router and was sent one in the post, free of charge, two days later.  I politely asked for the same and was informed that I had to place a secondary debit/credit card on my account, which he certainly never had to, and also that I would be charged £6.99 postage, again which he never had to.
Why is it some customers, hell I'm the one who referred him to Plusnet in the first place, seem to get different treatment? 
James
Grafter

Hi there,
The truth is that your friend should have been charged for the postage.  The fact that he wasn't means that someone here made a mistake, it's as simple as that.
Again, if you would like to receive a free router, we'll be more than happy to get one sent out to you if you don't mind our taking the £6.99 as a postage charge.
Azagoth
Grafter

Forget about the router for a while.  Let's go back to the original query, why are all the port numbers I try for uTorrent still coming up as blocked?  This is getting ridiculous, it's been three days now that I can't download anything via torrent.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PlusNet are not blocking the ports so it must be something local to your set-up.
Try disabling any software firewalls and anti-virus apps which can sometimes have their settings corrupted.
Try reinstalling your modem drivers.
Do you have alternate modem/router you can try?
kenportree
Dabbler

I had a similar problem recently, but found the problem was that my computer had mysteriously changed from a fixed IP address to a variable one. I reset the PC to a fixed IP and hey presto all is well again.
I have no idea how the settings came to be changed, but it might be worthwhile checking on your set up. Incidentally there are full instructions on the Port Forwarding site which can be accessed from the error screen in uTorrent, which comes up when you test whether a specific port is open.
Hope this helps.
Ken