cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Time Capsule on Plusnet Fibre

webbfibre

Apple Time Capsule on Plusnet Fibre

Guys,
Could do with some advice.  Just connected up my (last generation) Time Capsule to my Plusnet Fibre (in lieu of the Plunet router which had been connected previously). 
The speeds appear to vary between 73Mbps+ and less than 6 Mbps.  Speeds are usually 40Mbps+ on average,  The speeds were varying when the Plusnet router was connected too, but less violently.  The Time Capsule is also either intermittently disconnecting devices or is losing connection altogether. 
My PS3 is also reporting a NAT Type 2 connection, but gives me a warning message stating my router does not support a specific capability and as a result it may slow some game connections.
I was going to install inSSIDer to check the channel is the most appropriate, but am loath to spend $19.99 for an application I might only use once.  Does anyone have any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Apple Time Capsule on Plusnet Fibre

Look for inSSIDer 3 home on free download sites.  From for example here - http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

webbfibre

Thanks Townman,
I have now downloaded an application to determine any conflicting channels and reset my router to use alternative channels (as far away from the conflicting ones as possible).
The speeds still vary wildly, hitting 70Mbps on one speedtest - but only 24Mbps if I immediately rerun the test from the same spot, on the same device.
Whats my best course of action now do you think?
Andy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Andy,
WiFi is a highly variable feast.  How many wifi networks can inSIDDer see?
Some wifi routers vary the strength of their signal with the consequence that your signal can get "bashed" from moment to moment.  Take a look here - http://NPR.me.uk - it contains a number of tweaks for the TG routers to improve wifi performance in particular to set the wifi speed to 130Mbps.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

webbfibre

Hi Townman, unfortunately I couldn't download inssider - it tried to take me to the US app store and then wouldn't load.
I downloaded another application called Netspot (screenshot attached).  Based on the Netspot results I reset the TC to use Channel 13 of the 2.4Ghz range, and Channel 44 of the 5Ghz.  I noticed significantly faster speeds on the 5Ghz network, but still fluctuating widely from one moment to another.
Interestingly, as a test I unplugged the TC and put the TG router back on.  The TC was offering 20-73Mps fluctuating - the TG offers 43Mbps more consistently.  Weird right?
I'm stumped.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Webbfire,
All I can suggest is that the TC's WiFi is being impacted by surrounding WiFi APs.  You mentioned AppStore, but have not mentioned your computer platform - is it Apple which is completely incompatible with a significant portion of the free and very useful software available for all kinds of purposes?
Back to the TG - you can make that run at 130Mbps - see the tweaks at http://NPR.me.uk
Kevin

webbfibre

Kevin,
Thanks I appreciate your adice - my name is Andy btw :-). 
I take your point about Apple's closed eco-system - I run Mac OS X (on my Macbook) as my main system, but have Windows 8.1 native on a bootable partition.  I'll try inSSIDer 3 on Windows and let you know how I get on.
It turns out that while the TG speeds seem to fluctuate less than the TC, they are still variable.  I can't decide whether its my imagination that the TC fluctuated more.  I'd use an ethernet cable to prove/disprove it being a wireless issue - but my blasted computer (retina MBP) doesn't have an ethernet port!
I'll try the tweaks on the TG to get it to run at 130Mbps.  I orignally wanted to use the TC as AP instead of the TG for LAN purposes - when I use the TC as a device on the TG network file transfer speeds are slower.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You can, of course, buy a suitable adaptor.
There are cheaper ones out there, natch...  Cool