cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Time Capsule - any experiences

jadw59

Apple Time Capsule - any experiences

I'm very disappointed by the apparent incomprehension of PlusNet of my needs as an Apple user of the Apple Time Capsule router. 
Previously I had a cable modem just connected to the Time Capsule. 
When I signed up for Plus Net I asked not to be provided with a router because I wanted to use my Time Capsule router and wanted just a modem.  That was agreed and was recorded on the order.
I then received a D-Link (?) wireless modem/router.  I phoned to ask for my modem to be sent and the first person I spoke to simply had no idea what I was talking about so put me through to tech support who told me I could simply connect the D-Link to the Apple router using an ethernet cable without telling me how this was to be achieved.  (Apparently Plus Net no longer supply modems.)  The instructions which come with the D-Link are entirely Windows oriented. 
In the event I've ordered a modem from someone who does know what I'm talking about. 
Have others had similar experiences?

4 REPLIES 4
oliverb
Grafter

Re: Apple Time Capsule - any experiences

Sounds as if someone simply failed to explain the situation to you, and I wouldn't blame Plusnet for not supplying modems, if you want an ADSL modem your options seem to be:
1: the ubiquitous USB modem, which is probably Windows only.
2:Ethernet modems intended for the US (PPPoE) market, which might or might not work here. YMMV.
3:A one-port router sold as a modem.
I looked up the promo info for the apple box, can't find any mention of it routing though it appears to have a Gigabit switch built in. As such I think you'd just need to connect one of its network ports to one of a router's LAN ports, it ought to recognise a router automatically?
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet were quite correct in telling you that you can connect the D-Link to your Time Capsule using an ethernet cable. The instructions for doing this are contained within Apple's 'Designing Airport Networks' instruction manual. Have a look at page 36:-
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf
iashton
Grafter

I've been using a Time Capsule since March; I've got it connected via Ethernet to a Netgear 834PN Wireless router which provides the ADSL connection.
I've disabled the wireless on the Netgear and use the Time Capsule to run my local wireless network.
This all worked with no problems.
Presumably you can do similar with the D-Link.

However I do have issues with the speed of the Time Capsule which I could rant on about. Feel free to backchannel me.

Be3G
Grafter

I too use a Time Capsule and am pleased with the results. I used perhaps a slightly different method to most: because the TC was replacing the routing duties of my Linksys WAG54GS, I enabled PPPoA/E Bridge Mode on the latter, which turned it in to a simple PPPoE modem for attachment to the TC. This setup works absolutely fine; the only caveat is that there's no longer any direct access to the Linksys router's web interface.