cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV and download allowance

Shieldwolf9357

Apple TV and download allowance

Hi, I have just signed up for PlusNet Broadband using the 'up to 10Gb per month' option. I thought that would be sufficient for my needs as we are on very slow broadband and don't do any live streaming or gaming. But I am noticing that whenever I watch anything on my TV using Apple TV my 'usage' rockets. Is it really the case that using Apple TV (only for programmes and music on my desktop) will use up my monthly allocation - that would seem really unfair!! Can someone please clarify this. Thanks in anticipation
8 REPLIES 8
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Apple TV and download allowance

Yup - watching TV (ANY TV) online, whether live streamed or downloaded for later consumption,  eats allowance at a rate of knots - standard definition programmes ~ 700 MB/Hr -HD programmes GBs Cry
picbits
Rising Star

As above - most video streaming consumes data at an alarming rate. This includes BBC iPlayer / 4OD, Youtube etc
You'd be better off switching to an unlimited product and paying a few quid extra.
Shieldwolf9357

thanks for these comments - although I am still a little confused as the streaming is only from one room in my house to another, i.e. from the desk top library to the TV set in the sitting room. I really had not expected that to eat into the Gb.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I am still a little confused as the streaming is only from one room in my house to another, i.e. from the desk top library to the TV set in the sitting room

That should not eat into your allowance, since all traffic is local to your network. However, if your library is stored in iCloud say, then that WILL use your allowance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

If you're using your own network and have the TV stuff on one PC and watching it on another PC then it shouldn't come out of your allowance.
It certainly shouldn't go out of your LAN (local network) onto the WAN (wide area network / www)  then back in again.
It could be the machines are doing updates when turned on but certainly worth keeping an eye on what is happening in case you use your allocation in a couple of films.
I could be wrong but if you go into your account and set your "spend" to 0 then if you do go over your allowance, you won't be charged but your internet will slow to a crawl.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: picbits
I could be wrong but if you go into your account and set your "spend" to 0 then if you do go over your allowance, you won't be charged but your internet will slow to a crawl.

... but only after your next billing date Sad Set the value here (login required).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Shieldwolf9357

Thanks again for the messages. It does now seem from these comments that my download allowance should not be eaten into simply by watching or listening to something going from one room in the house to another as these are progs and music put on the PC many months (or even years ago). The idea that it could be updates happening in the background is something I had not thought of - so thanks for that. I have only been with PlusNet and limited downloads for a month so I am still getting used to watching what happens. As someone suggested I may yet have to switch to unlimited downloads.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks like you've gone over the 10GB limit and don't have a limit set (or at least not set ad 0GB) as we've added another 5GB to your allowance this month, which will add £5 to your next bill. If that's going to be a regular occurrance it might well be worth upgrading to Unlimited to be honest.