cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV (1st generation) freezing wired or wireless on 2704n

Zebedeesaunt

Apple TV (1st generation) freezing wired or wireless on 2704n

Hi all,
Since moving from a Brightbox 2 with EE to the Plusnet (Sagemcom) 2704n, my two 1st generation Apple TVs can no longer hold a connection long enough to watch more than a few minutes at a time.
Helpdesk information below and any assistance will be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks,
Zeb
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7150261B005634
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:18:35
7 - Data rate: 936/10843
8 - Maximum data rate: 1344/11108
9 - Noise margin: 6.5/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 12.4/25.5
12 - Data sent/received: 3.4M/24.7M
20 - Broadband username: link:csa removed
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: Truett
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 44:e9:dd:a4:cc:35
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
adie:green removed username]
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Apple TV (1st generation) freezing wired or wireless on 2704n

Hi Zebedeesaunt,
Welcome to the forums.  Does everything else work OK?
Is the TV connection wired of wifi to the router?  If WiFi are you able to try a wired connection?  It could be a wifi performance issue.
I would also check out this thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139924.msg1234632.html#msg1234632 - and contact support, either by phone or CHAT and ask if it might apply to your account / router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zebedeesaunt

Hi Townman,
Doesn't matter whether I go wired or wireless, after a few minutes - I suspect when it tries to connect to iTunes over the internet - it freezes. I have a Samsung smart TV that connects just fine wired or wireless, as does the BluRay player, but the ATV won't hold onto a connection for us since switching from EE to Plusnet. All else is as before so I'm suspecting a router issue of some kind.
Thanks,
Zeb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Zeb,
Thank you for confirming that LAN connectivity does not impact the issue.  If this works fine with a different router, I would suspect the known MTU issue discussed on the link provided.
Question: Can you configure the Brightbox2 to use your PlusNet account details?
I recommend contacting support to see if they can determine if you are impacted by that issue.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zebedeesaunt

Hi Kevin,
I've been looking for options there too. It looks as if there's a way of breaking into the Brightbox setup script to override the '@fs' validation that the EE firmware imposes. If I can't get to the bottom of the Plusnet router problem, it'll be worth a try.
I will report it to support as you suggest. I can't be the only ATV1 user left out here.
Thanks again,
Zeb
NedLudd
Grafter

Whilst I can offer no help to this problem, I do have an Apple TV box 1st generation. This works fine on Wi-Fi coupled to both my old TP-Link and my newer Billion routers.
We regularly watch a Netflix movie without any problem!
Ahhhh, but then, I'm on Fibre!
Geoff,
York.
tittertona

Hi
I have recently switched to Plusnet Fibre and have a 2704 router.
My Apple TV1 started freezing at random points so I thought it was a disk failure. Bought another ATV1 but that showed the same symptoms. So I have now turned off my Plusnet and connected the original ATV1 through a hotpsot from my phone and it works perfectly. Obviously I can't use this hotspot other than for diagnosis though.
Did you find a solution to the router issue?
Zebedeesaunt

Finally fixed it.
Go to http://192.168.1.x/expert_user.html where x is the address of your router.
Under 'Advanced Setup' and 'LAN', make sure that 'IGMP Snooping' is not checked.
Under 'Advanced Setup' and 'IPv6 Autoconfig', make sure that 'Enable MLD Snooping' is not checked.
Click the 'Save/Apply' button.
Hope it works for you as well as it did for me. Both ATV1s now back to working as normal.
Zeb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Seb,
Thanks for the info.

@CRT,
If not already known, is this worth getting into the support desk problem database?  I assume that there is one?

Cheers,
Kevin

tittertona

That's great, but i've already switched routers now.
Fo r the record,  BT HHub5 type B  works perfectly with ATV1 and has bonus of 5Ghz Wifi speed.