Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Macintosh BB issue - I'm mystified

h_milsom
Grafter

Apple Macintosh BB issue - I'm mystified

uys - I'm in trouble .....
I have a wireless network with an iBook and an iMac which has consistently worked at around 6.5Mb/s - I can almost see the exchange.
I have changed the iMac for a newer model and - like the earlier iMac is running Leopard (10.5.1).
Now, in spite of restoring all the original settings such as IP and DNS the iMac reports speeds of around 400Kb/s and the iBook around 3Mb/s. Ping is about 40mS for the slow connection and 140 for the faster connection!
I have reported the fault and PN have done their stuff well and confirm the 400K speeds. But the Line Status is fine (7000K) and they can see no fault.
As far as I can see the settings on the Laptop and the iMac are identical in every way. Have I missed a trick? Could it be the Modem or ADSL Filter?
The thought of £144 + VAT to BT and the problem remaining weighs heavily ....
Are there any MAC people out there who can suggest a solution? Or in fact anyone who can help?
I will try an alternative modem and run up an old XP windows machine and see how fast it goes.
Why don't I see the same speed on both machines?
I'm totally at a loss.
Kind Regardsjavascript:void(0);
Fat Hugh
8 REPLIES 8
h_milsom
Grafter

Re: Apple Macintosh BB issue - I'm mystified

Wifey now tells me that the week before the iMac change (when I was abroad) the system was very slow .... so nothing to do with the new m/c - the old one was slow as well.
Does this point to the Line having a problem?
Kind Regards
Fat Hugh
h_milsom
Grafter

Additional Info .....
Had a burst of 6.5Mb/s this afternoon.
Tried a download of Firefox - same problem as with Safari.
Created a different 'Location' in Network Preferences (loads fresh IP etc) - no change.
Surely if I CAN get normal speeds if only for a few minutes the problem has to be external?
BT Speedtester advises logging in @speedtest_domain but unfortunately my Modem insists on a password ...
Tomorrow I will try an old wired Zyzel modem and an XP m/c
Kind Regards
Fat Hugh

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Shot in the dark here but being a Mac user (10.4.11 at moment) I'd like to try and help. Is the firmware/software in the modem/router up to date and ready for 10.5? I'd like to point out that I'm no expert but this thought crossed my mind having updated a few times on my old netgear router/modem.
h_milsom
Grafter

What a good thought!
Of to Church - will investigate on my return.
Interesting .....
Kind Regards
Fat Hugh
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Maybe the 'higher authority' will have inspired you too.  Smiley
h_milsom
Grafter

Quote from: Word
Maybe the 'higher authority' will have inspired you too.  Smiley

It's the incense .....
On a MAC OSX forum I find others with the same problem - tenth speed!!!!
Now looking for firmware update or new (non Linksys) Modem
Back at about 12 noon.
Kind Regards
Hugh
h_milsom
Grafter

Huh

Right, I think it's sorted. We shall see ....
I retried a wired connection from Router to iMac:
And lo, there was with the Angels a great wind of data which did blow with a force of more than six thousand legions. Thus sayeth the Speedtester.
As it is written "A wide RF channel alloweth far more throughput than a narrow channel. It is easy for a packet to pass through the eye of a wide channel than for data to pass through the eye of an ISP."
And so the Router was set to use a Wide Channel. And peace did reign in the household. And there was much rejoicing. The fatted chicken was slaughtered and served with many roast potatoes. And it was good.

Thank you Word Warrior!!
Kind Regards
Hugh Milsom
Licenced Lay Minister
St Peter's, Penhill, Swindon

In transferring the settings from one MAC
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Oooo!
The lord and the internet moves in a mysterious way. Loved your reply. Happy days and so glad to be of assistance. Smiley