Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent Congestion, Hunslet MYHLT, FTTC

Melancholie
Grafter

Apparent Congestion, Hunslet MYHLT, FTTC

Hi Guys.
Starting a new thread as the ongoing one is really long. Reviewing a few graphs I can see that there've been peak time 'bumps' in graphs since at least January, haven't gone through all of them or further back as that'd be a bit obsessive.
Picking on a couple of recent days Sunday 23rd:

Tuesday 25th:

BT Wholesale speed tester confirms line is out of specification.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 25.86 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 61.86 Mbps-77.33 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.33 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.04Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
The gorgeous folks at AAISP say that they don't see any issues with the exchange, however they have no VDSL subscribers on the exchange.
I don't know if you guys have any way of checking into this more closely, if it's not SVLAN I guess that leaves Cablelink and cabinet backhaul.
Of course it could also be my equipment but it seems unlikely that it only shows up at peak periods if it is my kit.
Your confirmation would be greatly appreciated so that I can, erm, discuss this robustly with a couple of contacts within BT.
Thank you!
25 REPLIES 25
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Apparent Congestion, Hunslet MYHLT, FTTC

Hi Melancholie,
We've taken a look at all the data we have for you and your exchange and we can't see any issues. Your throughput does seem to have taken a hit 😕
We've not got any other faults raised at your exchange either - we'd have expected a couple if there was a known/widespread problem.
Melancholie
Grafter

Thank you Chris, robust discussions in progress.
Melancholie
Grafter

Chirs,
Do you have any avenues to investigate cabinet backhaul congestion?
This cabinet will be backhauled with GPON as cabinets are, if it's sharing with a few other children there's potential for issues. I can easily imagine some cabinets in the area having rather high usage given the demographics nearby.
Melancholie
Grafter

Didn't bother to speed test but as per latency hump between 8pm and 10pm.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can certainly look at a potential back-haul issue.
In order for us to keep track of the potential issue, we'd need for you to raise a fault if possible? http://faults.plus.net and I'll give Dave a nudge to see what we can find for you.
Melancholie
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Already raised, Sir.
I can't see how the issue could be with my own equipment here; I run with 2 x Huawei Openreach modems going into a TP-Link TL-ER5120 load balancing router. The router allows me to ping from each of the 2 WAN ports in turn eliminating my LAN and both show similar issues to varying degrees.
That the throughput and latency vary from day to day at peak periods would appear to imply that it's a loading issue, a fault with my equipment would be constant, and you guys have checked my line I believe and can find no issues with it. In any event line issues would show as packet loss, not higher latency as the line is fast path.
We have just had 2 new line cards installed into our cabinet here, indeed the last 2 the cabinet can hold, uptake is very high and people have been waiting impatiently for those cards, so if this is a backhaul issue it's only going to go one way if it isn't addressed.
I appreciate your time, attention, and work on this - thank you.
AndyH
Grafter

You don't by any chance have any neighbours or anyone else you might know on the same cabinet?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As above, only to see if they are seeing the same issue?
I'm wanting to rule out Crosstalk too.
Melancholie
Grafter

Already ahead of you, had a neighbour on same line card in the cabinet set up a monitor Smiley
Same issue starting at the same time, though not as apparent. He appears to also be on Plusnet amusingly, want me to PM you his address so that you can cross-check?
He is going to be a bit closer to the cabinet than my good self going by the cabling route. Sad as it sounds that I know the cabling route we had a big campaign to enable the cabinet, part of which was showing BT there were 400 homes on the PCP, not 96.
Melancholie
Grafter

Okay here's his live graph. Considerably better than mine tends to be!

He reports intermittent problems with Skype and Facetime at peak periods.
Interestingly that looks quite a lot like my other line, however for whatever reason my lines do seem to take it in turns to show issues more. Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just had a look at your Fault Ticket and Dan who works our FTTC Faults, is having a look into this now for you. Dan should be in touch shortly.
If your neighbour is also seeing an issue, it'd be great to see him/her on here Smiley
Melancholie
Grafter

Message passed on!
I have a few minutes so I'm going to go interrogate the 2 Huawei modems under a hot spotlight and make them give up their deepest secrets. I shall be back with stats from both.
dowdican

hi all,
I am one of the Neighbour. Carl have invited me in this forums.. so what can I do for you to help with my issues?

dowdican

I have read all this.
shall i raise the fault and give fault number that you can check on both mine and neighbour to help with your investigation?
let me know.
I use same as Melancholie is openreach modem but using Draytek Vigor 2820n plug into WAN port. instead of ADSL port.