cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling upload speed

nr9876
Hooked

Appalling upload speed

My upload speed has suddenly dropped - a speed test shows upload speed is less than 0.1 mbps - and on a couple of occasions apparently 0!! Download speed is mediocre at around 10mbps but I don't think that's causing any issues. 

This seems to be a recent issue - Problems started on 17th April. I can no longer send emails with even very small attachments which is quite a hindrance when working from home. 

I have tried resetting the router / connecting directly to my laptop, but the non existent upload speeds remain. 

I tried calling customer support but an automated message told me to post the issue here. 

Any assistance is gratefully received.

Many thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Appalling upload speed

nr9876
Hooked

Thank you - I have tried the tests available to me.

I don't have a landline phone, so cannot use that as a check. I have checked all wires and everything looks OK there, although I'm not sure how I'd know if there was a sudden issue with the Microfilter? And could that cause a drop in just the upload speed?

The BT performance test stated my upload speed was 0.0 (!) 

There're no issues currently stated on the PlusNet network status page. 

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm at a loss!

nr9876
Hooked

Is anyone aware of how I can get someone to look at this? In its current state the broadband is unusable. 

The help chat are phone lines are not operational. 

I'm a bit stuck as I need to work from home but can't... 

Gel
Aspiring Champion

You need to borrow/ buy a landline handset; cheap as chips.
That's only way you can undertake the Quiet Line Test; if line is noisy, that
detracts from Broadband connectivity.
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@nr9876 Hi there, I can see your internet connection stopped at 20:07 21/Apr/2020. Can you please ensure you are plugged into the test socket at present?

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
nr9876
Hooked

@tinytaco @Gel Thank you. I can confirm I am now connected to a test socket. I have tested with a phone and all seems fine. 

Many thanks for your help. 

nr9876
Hooked

Hi @tinytaco A BT openreach engineer looked at the problem and allegedly 'sorted it'. It seemed a little better for a day or so, but now I am once again only getting an upload speed of 0.01 Mbps making it nigh on impossible to work. 

It's really quite critical that I am able to work from home, is there anything else that can be done? It is quite frustrating.

Many thanks

nr9876
Hooked

Any chance of this being looked at soon?

Thank you.

nr9876
Hooked

@tinytaco Hi, this problem is ongoing and incredibly frustrating. Is anyone looking into what is causing the upload speed to drop to 0.01 regularly? It is impossible to get anything done.

Thank you.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@nr9876 Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at http://faults.plus.net.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team