Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling speed and customer service

Granite66
Grafter

Appalling speed and customer service

This morning I got this by email:
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 1Mbps
Current line speed: 0.2Mbps

Well TY for that Plusnet, but I told you that two weeks ago when using your online help service as you don;t provide email contact details, and as yet I am STILL waiting for a reply, so TY for telling me that I told you  Crazy
Anyway, now that you know my broadband is basically unusable, what are you going to do about it?
53 REPLIES 53
Granite66
Grafter

Re: Appalling speed and customer service

Oh, I should add I've seen it as low as 0.08Mb  Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Granite66,
Welcome to the Forum (and to Plusnet). It sounds like things aren't to clever there. Plusnet use a system known by us regulars as Tickets.
Your will find them here in Open or Closed questions/tickets by logging into the Member Centre (Portal), so there could be a response, or record of your eChat there.
The speeds you've mentioned, was that from a tester and which one?
Can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats just do a copy and paste of the results here.
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Granite66
Grafter

Seems they never received the ticket - probably cos it timed out  Crazy
Well they'll have to address it here. Dunno which tester, and the copy and paste was from their email to me today, so they get the same results. 
I'll copy & paste when I'm at home later.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, I'll keep my eyes open in case I can provide any help.
If you copy and paste those TG582n Full DSL stats
Also run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of those results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also your Current Line speed (Login required) (but not your phone number).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry to see that your speeds are so low. After performing a quick line test you seem to be on a very long line but it's very stable at the current speeds. Having said that your are currently connected below what's known as the FTR (Fault Threshold Rate). Due to this I'd advise going through the fault checker at https://faults.plus.net (you can do this from any internet connection, just log in with your username and password to our member centre) and this will report the fault to us here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Granite66
Grafter

Cheers Chris, done.
Granite66
Grafter

Wow, just wow.
What appalling service from Plusnet. Monday night my service drops completely, call for help, no can do, so book a service call out from openreach for this afternoon.
Guy arrives today to do a LINE Check. Apparently this saves Plusnet from an open ended call out charge so they dont actually look at the fault.
Engineer calls support, support guy (Dave I think) says it's booked as a line issue. Of course it isn't I tell him, I called because I had no internet, the line issue came up because the support guy said I had some interference on the line, which is true and confirmed by the Openreach tech today, who also confirmed it's a broadband issue.
O.R. guy can do no more, but will pick up the return call when it is rebooked by Plusnet (minus_net?). This includes the weekend, which it will have to be as I took a half day today. He is working this weekend, so even though 100% Plusnet are going to tell me that it's not possible to book a weekend, it is, including this Sunday.
Broadband also dropped yesterday until 8pm, and went off today at 3.57pm again just before engineer arrived today. Currently not at home so hence able to post.
Can only say so far I am appalled at the service both of the product, and the customer service provided.
Let's not get into the fact that despite Plusnet being aware enough of my appalling speeds that they send me an email about it, but have no plans to follow up and actually do something about it, or that with no email address on their entire website, you have to fill in a support ticket, which with really awful internet apparently times out - hence why my initial grievance never actually made it to plusnet unbeknownst to me.
Currently raging at the waste of a half day - I wonder if the £50 call out threat I got on booking the service call applies in reverse?
Finally, anotherone, can't do any of those checks as my line speed wont load the pages. Thanks for the offer though.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

One guesses that there was a specific fault detected by the BTOR line test systems provided to PlusNet by BTOR and that is why the line test / check was requested.
One is then led to ask, if the BTOR engineer attending identified a "broadband" fault (not specified) and (as per the above statement) is capable of addressing "broadband" faults... why the hell did he not just get on and repair it?
Answer BTOR get the chance to bounce a "no fault found" charge to PlusNet and then charge again for a "broadband" SFI visit.  If the guy had the ability to fix a fault he identified when he was there, he should have fixed it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Granite66
Grafter

Hi Townman, the total reverse. Plusnet won't pay for the open ended appointment required for broadband work which could take hours to complete according to openreach engineer, hence why he was only booked for the line check by Plusnet. I took the phone off him when "Dave" insisted only a line fault was reported so that I could speak to Dave myself.
I told Dave that was utter hoop, I called to request my broadband be looked at as it has been 0.2Mb since installation, falling this week to periods of total downtime, Dave basically said tough [Censored] and that I need to rebook for a broadband fault this time.
As it happens overnight I now don't even have the broadband light on on the router, so the service has diminished further.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

What you fail to understand is that a fault on the phone line will (and it would seem has) bugger up your broadband. So if the tests conducted by Faults show a line fault, they were quite correct to get Openreach to investigate and fix it.
Openreach are responsible for the provision and maintenance of all lines (whoever the ISP - except Virgin Media Cable).
Until the line is fixed your broadband speed will not increase, and any reset of the profiles that may be needed cannot be done.
Plusnet cannot and do not cause line faults or issues. I hope that is now clear. The line needs to be fixed!
@Townman
As it is known that OR "engineers" can "pass the buck" especially if any doesn't feel inclined to climb poles or look into manholes, remake joints etc., particularly if given the opportunity to do so by customers that don't understand what's actually happening from a technical point, it somewhat clouds the issue to try and conclude that the "engineer" identified a broadband fault. Making statements like that do not help. A Line fault is a Line fault. Endof.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Granite66
Is there any audible background noise when you use the telephone (you can use the quiet line test to check 17070 option 2). If so report that as a phone fault and get that fixed.
Likewise if Plusnet testing has identified a line fault that MUST be fixed first.
If a broadband engineer attends and finds a line fault you risk him walking away and you having to wait for another appointment to get the line fault fixed.

Analogy: Think if your phone line as a pipe. If it is damaged, squashed or furred up inside the chances are no matter how much you work on the pump pushing the water in to the pipe the rate of flow will be limited or even non-existent. Fix the problems with the pipe and it works properly without you having to anything to the pump. It's the same with ADSL: fix the phone line and the chances are the broadband will recover by itself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Granite66
Grafter

Nope, engineer tried telling the Plusnet support that what he was hearing and getting on the line was a clear sign of broadband traffic interference, the line itself is fine. Plusnet guy clearly had no clue what he was trying to explain.
jim:quote
Granite66
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
What you fail to understand is that a fault on the phone line will (and it would seem has) [Censored] up your broadband. So if the tests conducted by Faults show a line fault, they were quite correct to get Openreach to investigate and fix it.
Openreach are responsible for the provision and maintenance of all lines (whoever the ISP - except Virgin Media Cable).
Until the line is fixed your broadband speed will not increase, and any reset of the profiles that may be needed cannot be done.
Plusnet cannot and do not cause line faults or issues. I hope that is now clear. The line needs to be fixed!

Hmm, ok, well weird then, cos now O.R. are coming back to fix a "broadband" issue with no line work done. Waiting for engineer to return my text and change appointment to weekend.
Anotherone
Champion

Did the OR engineer plug any test equipment in to your NTE5 and carry out ant tests, or did he just listen on the phone?
Broadband noise on the line can be caused by iffy joints and this is smelling more like buck passing by the minute!