cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using a Belkin Share F7D3402uk Router....??

pawhe955
Grafter

Anyone using a Belkin Share F7D3402uk Router....??

Hi all,
My trusty Netgear DG834G finally failed after 6 years of sterling service - I'm now on my 3rd new/replacement router within a few weeks (tried a Linksys - but an unresolved firmware bug stopped me using a function that I require; tried a newer Netgear - but got ridiculously low Wireless range); ended up with the Belkin, which is doing what I need (good WAN sync speed, good wireless range, and most specifically, timed acls / firewall rules to limit kids access to the internet) - except I've hit one problem....
DHCP reservation doesn't seem to work. There is a page where you can build a table of MAC Address against specified IP address - but when the device with the specified MAC address sends out it's DHCP request, the router just seems to offer the next available (or the same address, if you release/renew).
With the Netgear, DHCP reservation was a must, as the Firewall rules worked on IP address - it's not such an issue with the Belkin, as it's general "access control" ACLs work on MAC addresses (and are very flexible, and work well, I must add). But if I want to use DHCP (rather than setting a static IP) on a device that I want to run as a "virutal server" (as Belkin call it - or a port-forwarding target, as others might think of it), then the required rule syntax in the router reverts to requiring IP address, so the IP address must be consistent - so if using DHCP, it needs to be a reserved address.
I'm "working through the problem" with Belkin support at the moment - and they have stated at this time that it is a function that should be working o.k..  So I just wondered if anyone else was using (or had access to fiddle with) the same model router, and could confirm whether it was working for them...?Huh
(BTW, upgraded to latest firmware on router as soon as I took it out of the box...)
And one other thing - which actually may create more discussion - the router has a page where you can set it to reboot regularly - you can individually choose which days, and also set a time of day. Is this a good idea?  How might a regular re-sync with the exchange affect my profile?  If it's a "good idea", then what frequency would not affect my line profile - once a week?  Or is it just a bad idea...!!??!!
Many thanks,
P.