Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Intel 5100 with TG585v8?

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Anyone using Intel 5100 with TG585v8?

Is anyone using this combination of wireless adapter and router? If so, which Operating System are you using? I'm particularly interested in those using Linux, though experience using other OSes might also be useful, especially if special configuration was needed.
Whenever I access a web page or file download from my laptop (an Acer 5810TG using an Intel 5100 wireless adapter and running PCLinuxOS) the router reboots. This does not happen if I access other computers on the LAN, even if I use them to access the web in a remote desktop. Nor does it happen if I use my EEEPC with an Atheros AR5001 card, or if I use the Acer laptop at friends' houses where they have different model routers. It isn't a faulty router - that's been swapped with no change to the result.
Investigation is difficult because the Dynamic Line Management objects to the disconnections and I have been banded once in the past as a result, so trial and error troubleshooting is not an option except over a very long period.
I am beginning to suspect an interaction between the card (or perhaps the Linux driver) and the router firmware, or it might be a configuration setting. There are several parameters in the driver which can be adjusted, but I can't find any instructions on what they mean.
I therefore would be interested to know if others are running this combination successfully in Linux, or conversely have problems in other OSes which might point us in the right direction.
No comments like "the Thomson is rubbish" please. I know it's cheap, but it still ought to work.
7 REPLIES 7
whelpton
Grafter

Re: Anyone using Intel 5100 with TG585v8?

@Kjpetrie.
There is a wonderful post on our help pages abou this problem with Intel Chipsets here It should lead to at the bottom of the page to an intel site with instructions for solving this problem.
Now I do realise that this is for windows and not specifically written for linux, but I still think it would be worth double checking all those points to see if there might be something causing a similiar problem with your setup. It doesn't sound a million miles off what I've been told over the phone & following the advice on the intel site resolves the problem.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Maybe a long shot but my experience is that turning off the 'n' mode in the wireless settings on the TG585v8 solves quite a few issues, this makes very little difference to wireless performance but it does seem a lot more stable and improves compatibility with many devices.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
whelpton
Grafter

@Walker23.
As far as I can tell, the problems caused by N mode come as a result of Phase Cancellation, or at least my grasp of how wireless works makes me believe this. I don't believe the router turning off by itself will be related to the N mode, but it is sound advice to disable it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Current Linux distributions should use the iwlwifi driver for the Intel 5100.
This link http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/wireless.php#pm might help in detemining how to disable PSP. Is suspect the iwlwifi driver has simialr options.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

This is a better link: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Power_save - these days the fancy new "iw" tool is preferred over the old iwconfig / iwpriv / iwlist commands.
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

Thank you all for your help on this. I'm glad I asked. I have disabled 11n on the laptop and will test it after Christmas. I won't test it earlier as I tested something else yesterday that caused a reboot, and then suffered last night's disconnection which needed me to power-cycle the router again today, so I don't want to risk a third DSL drop in 24 hours and I think I need to give everything a good time to settle down first.
It's good to know it's a known problem and there is probably a cure.
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

Been tentatively trying it for a few days now. Posting this from my laptop! So far, so good. Looks as if disabling 11n has improved matters.
Thanks to everyone who helped.