cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTC ?

WonderWabbit
Grafter

Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTC ?

Quote from: andymk
Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?
Postman bought me a 20m Ethernet cable this morning..
Ran it along the landing, down the stairs across the hall into the lounge (much to wifes discust as she doesn't do wires) and plugged the router directly into the Sky box..
Guess, what, it still didn't work, still get Local Connection OK and Service Connection Fail.
So, my problem is not due to the Sky Wireless gizmo that I bought, although I kind of knew that after trying it with Home plugs !!
So it has to be the router...  Never liked the ZyXel thing that Plusnet supplied for my trial anyway..
Going to borrow a router to try, so watch this space.

My old service was SKY Broadband Max (Unlimited)
SKY Phoneline
and i had no problems using Sky On-Demand whether connected by ethernet cable+wall power socket converter or wifi.
I've recently switch to PlusnetFibre FTTC,
Phoneline still with Sky ( - told taking a month from the time they bring in my fibre, before they can switch over my line as well ???)
Internet works (whether laptop on wifi or ethercable)
SKY box connection by power-adaptors+ethernet = complete FAIL
So i've a temp long ethernet cable running from my lounge to the kitchen (main PST comes in to the flat there - Grrrrrrrrrrr !!!  Angry ) hard wired connected to my Plusnet TG582n router and Openreach Fibre Hub
= The SKY bOX says
Yes to Local connection (seeing the ethernet cable),
but FAIL to Service Connection......
So, Question? Why is my Laptop & Router saying there is internet
but my SKY Box is saying  no network connection?
To me as a lay-user with basic knowldge of internet and computer useage (I am ECDL trained, i understand how computers should work and connect, but i am not a data builder) this suggests a set-up issue Huh
Sometimes rebooting three times will have my SKY Box see the connection
- pain, though Why should this be a solution.... and it's only templ back to square one when i next come to use my laptop  Undecided Undecided
P.S. My broadband speeds arent all that great, either  Cry
Not a real Plusnet fan, yet
Regards
Stephen [ Plusnet Essentials Fibre -  supposed to be Up to 38Mb speeds ]
17 REPLIES 17
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTC ?

I've connected my Sky Wireless connector box wirelessly to my PN fibre network & it works fine. It's 2 liitle eyes are glowing at me right now.  Roll_eyes
WonderWabbit
Grafter

Cheers for reply tijara33  Smiley Huh
I used to have a Sky Wifi Bridge, but gave it away as previously everything worked fine so was surplus.
I've got a replacement on order, so til then, unable to test.
That said, that would only make one SKY box working.
I'm looking for a solution.
Surely an ethernet connection is superior to a wifi,
and i need an ethernet solution working so i can have all my boxes working (have multi-room, one for a Lodger.....
- who, tho patient, isnt getting the full SKY services i promised)
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm afraid that you're now in territory way beyond my knowledge base. Sorry.  Embarrassed
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I don't have Sky.   Last time I saw that same issue on a relative's Sky HD/powerline/Virgin Cable broadband installation, it transpired the Sky service was down as reported on Sky forums.

I would suggest putting the Sky box into the DMZ and see if it solves the 'Sky Connection' problem.
Log into Plusnet router -> Toolbox -> Firewall -> Assign DMZ to a local network device.

I think you also need to investigate your low download speed.
If you do get your Sky box connected, keep a close eye on your usage, given you are on Essentials package.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
WonderWabbit
Grafter

Quote from: zzZzz
I don't have Sky.   Last time I saw that same issue on a relative's Sky HD/powerline/Virgin Cable broadband installation, it transpired the Sky service was down as reported on Sky forums.
I would suggest putting the Sky box into the DMZ and see if it solves the 'Sky Connection' problem.
Log into Plusnet router -> Toolbox -> Firewall -> Assign DMZ to a local network device.

Cheers
I can find no assistance that works in the SKY Forums - i'm finding ploughing through their pages highly frustrating.
E.g. I've no idea where i find Multiplexing in my Technicolor TG582n router and where to change it to LLC = one suggestion.
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/On-Demand-service-connection-problems-with-some-ro...
re DMZ - all it says in Firewall is the ability to Enable DMZ - which i've done - but nothing clear about assigning DMZ to a local network.
While there i even tried disabling the Router Firewall just to see if that would have any effect - no change there
So, regardless of anything i've tried to do todate, my Skybox remains Local Connection (Ethernet) = OK; Service Connection = FAIL  
Angry I am SOOOoooo not happy about this - wish i'd never left SKY and gone for Plusnet Fibre.
Only reason i left was because SKY don't offer any Fibre deals  Undecided
How do i get my router and my SKY Box to recognised they are hard-wired together ??  Cry  Cry
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Is the SKY box listed under Devices in the router? This could well be an issue with local IP assigning. Is the SKY box set to obtain IP via DHCP?
That's RPM to you!!
bill888
Champion

A new page should appear prompting you to enter an IP address.
Go to your sky HD box and the menu page showing the Local and service connection status.  Given the Local Connection is reported as ok, you should see the IP address on the screen, beginning 192.168.1.??.   You need to enter it into the above DMZ page on the PN fibre router.
Here are some other ideas and thoughts:
On the subject of firewalls, only other suggestion is to visit Plusnet home page and log into Member's area, and check the Firewall settings.  Turn it off perhaps.   Then I think you need to log into PN router and press Disconnect and Connect, for any changes you have made to take effect.

Which model Sky HD box do you have?
The current model is an Amstrad DRX895.
I seem to recall reading Sky are in the process of deploying new EPG/software for the DRX89x boxes too.
I wonder what model Sky +HD box and PN router tijara33 is using?
Looking on Sky forum and where ppl report Service Connection Failed, they advise trying a Planner Rebuild. Afterwards,  power cycle the Sky +HD box.  I'm not sure what a Planner Rebuild would achieve TBH.
The only other thought is whether the public IP address assigned to your broadband connection is geo-blocked by sky because they think it is outside the UK.   You can change your IP address by logging into PN router and press Disconnect and Connect.  You may need to fully power cycle the Sky box afterwards.
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-anytime/47944-how-get-anytime.html
thomasjc1
Grafter

Works for me I have a Samsung sky hd box but I use a asus rt-n66u router all I did was plug in and it worked straight away
WonderWabbit
Grafter

Cheers zzZzz - many thanks for your feedback = food for thought.
Router = Technicolor TG582n FTTC
SkyBox = PVR7 = underside says "Sky DRX895"
A new page should appear prompting you to enter an IP address.

No, it already has an iP address in there. Configure does not give me the ability to enter or change the iP address, only enable, or disable it, for one item - only a solution for one SkyBox
and This is enabled, but is not the address of the ethernet connected SkyBox.
Go to your sky HD box and the menu page showing the Local and service connection status.  Given the Local Connection is reported as ok, you should see the IP address on the screen, beginning 192.168.1.??.   You need to enter it into the above DMZ page on the PN fibre router.

If i change the lounge Box to the DMZ iP address, local connection says = OK, service connection remains = FAIL
What do you mean by "PN router" -
sorry excuse my ignorance but i am a new subscriber = is PN short for Plusnet?
On the subject of firewalls, only other suggestion is to visit Plusnet home page and log into Member's area, and check the Firewall settings.  Turn it off perhaps.

You cannot turn off Firewall settings in your Members Area HomePage as that's an information help site - don't you mean go in to your Router settings via the Gateway - you can turn that off and on.... which i've already tried
 Then I think you need to log into PN router and press Disconnect and Connect, for any changes you have made to take effect.

Huh confused -
Switching the Router Firewall off via Router gateway makes no changes
Powering off Openreach Fibre Hub + Technicolor Router + SkyBox - only sometimes has my SkyBox connecting, though takes about three times switching off and on
and the time it takes to reboot is an absolute pain  Embarrassed and not an acceptible solution  Cry
I've googled and ploughed through all SkyForum pages and tried all and variations and more, suggested there  Huh  Cry  Cry - there are only so many screens you can go through before you, yourself, crash.... let alone the computer  Shocked
I've tried all the reload and rebuild stuff - but i don't believe it's a SkyBox issue (read on)
I wonder what model Sky +HD box and PN router tijara33 is using?

update = I've just got my SkyWifiConnector -
Good news = It sees my Wifi and connects OK to Router so that SKY On-Demand works.............   Sad
Bad news = that only helps one SkyBox, and only serves to reaffirm the issue lies somewhere with the Technicolor TG582n router.
Undecided I'll have to give the SkyWifiConnector to my Lodger, so leaves me back at square one.
Again, Many Thanks zzZzz
________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's more helpful to try to work out why a Router connected by ethernet to a SkyBox doesnt see the connection,
than people posting - that yours works.
I'm seeking posts helping out and understanding why mine doesnt.
Many thanks, though
Regards
Stephen [ Plusnet Essentials Fibre -  Exchange says available nax Up to 37Mbs ]
Service provision POOR
bill888
Champion

Yes, I abbreviated PlusNet to PN.
In Members Area -> Connection Settings -> Broadband Firewall.  You can set the firewall to Off, Low or High in the Basic Settings tab .   This is an additional firewall and the settings are not related to the firewall on the router.
If you just log into the Plusnet router and perform a Disconnect followed by a Connect, this forces your broadband connection to acquire a new public IP address.
I don't recommend you turn the OpenReach modem off frequently, because DLM will think there is a line fault and start reducing your line speeds to compensate for what it mistakenly thinks is a bad line....

That is very bizarre Sky On Demand is working with the Sky Wifi Connector.    That would confirm there isn't any issue caused by any firewall or geo-blocking of your public IP address.

There is a new trial firmware available for the Fibre TG582N you may wish to consider.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html

WonderWabbit
Grafter

Update D'ohhh !!!
my bad = No - the new SkyWiFiConnector didnt work in the Lounge / didnt resolve
Whether Ethernet or Wireless in the Lounge TG582n ><  SKY DRX895 = still YES OK to Local Connection, but FAIL to Service Connection.  Undecided
My Fault -
I tested the new wireless connector in my bedroom on an Amstrad DRX890 where the Box saw the Wife Connection, and was able to get all the On-Demand Platforms.
Tried reconnecting back using Ethernet & Power Adaptors...  and back to displaying Service Connection FAIL - connections not being seen.
In my haste, Ignorantly thought just because it worked in the bedroom on one box, it would naturally work OK on the Main box in the Lounge - stooopid me. Why should i think it wouldnt Huh
Well.... it doesnt.... hey-hoe back to the drawing board.  
I'll try the patch when i understand what it's asking me to do......
Updating SkyBox Firmware.... a doddle
- but Ask me to update my PN Router ......   Ummmmmm   Huh  Undecided
L8rz
Thanks for continued help
P.S. Found what you meant in the Members Centre - Found the Firewall settings = says it's already switched Off, so i guess that means, Not Applicable
Regards
Stephen [ Plusnet Essentials Fibre -  Exchange says available max Up to 37Mbs ]
but when tested with Plusnet broadband tester
Network Service POOR
WonderWabbit
Grafter

There is a new trial firmware available for the Fibre TG582N you may wish to consider.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114824.0.html

Nope.... better i don't try that, more likely to mess things further than resolve anything.
Terms like Flashing and downloading software for a Thomson 585v7 and 585v8 which isnt the product i'm using, makes me nervous / havent got the confidence to trust i'm doing things right.
Might have to discuss with Plusnet Support getting them to swap out my Fibre TG582N with an already new software updated one.

bill888
Champion

Did you used to have two Sky HD boxes connected to internet on same Sky broadband connection and using On Demand on both boxes?
After a bit of googling, it appears the HD boxes need UDP port 3700 open on the firewall.
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/On-Demand-Catch-Up-TV/Anytime-service-connection-fail/td-p/512816
It appears the Sky box uses uPnP to set up the port forwarding on the uPnP enabled router.
What I'm not sure is what happens if two devices want to open the same port number?
Perhaps a 2nd box would try to open a different port number.

If you just had just one of the two Sky HD boxes switched on and connected using ethernet cable, would On Demand services work?

LEEEVANS69
Grafter

Mine works fine either with the ethernet cable direct from the pn router, or using skys wi-fi box.
Ethernet was plug and play