cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience with Be?

cricalixwood
Dabbler

Anyone have experience with Be?

Hi. While I was having my recent connection difficulties, I was looking at other providers, and came across Be http://www.bethere.co.uk.
My local exchange is enabled for Be, and it looks like I might be able to get about 19Mb/s download speeds.
Two questions I suppose: has PN got anything like Be's offer available, and has anyone got any enlightening experiences to report, good or bad?
13 REPLIES 13
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Anyone have experience with Be?

Quote from: cricalixwood
My local exchange is enabled for Be, and it looks like I might be able to get about 19Mb/s download speeds.

What speed are getting on PlusNet (Full router stats would be good)?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

As noted elsewhere I moved from PlusNet to Be recently as ADSL2+ is VERY useful to me.
Currently getting 21mbps downstream, 1.3mbps upstream.
It's "interesting" and meets my needs.
If/when PN can offer ADSL2+ in my area I will be very carefully considering coming back.
Meanwhile I stay in touch here and continue to recommend PN in most cases.
HPsauce
Pro

And a few more comments on Be:
Obviously it's ADSL2+ and you have the "different challenges" that brings both in expectations and problems, but there's another thread on that.
Much of the "issues" I see on the Be Forums relate to inherent ADSL2+ "features". If you think ADSL Max is sensitive, just wait!
Be's support is free (0808) and effective, comparable to PN I'd say despite being based in Bulgaria.
Be have "customer" and "independent" forums similar to PN and the Be support staff are very active in the former.
Be aren't as open as PN in the amount of published information but much better than most.
Be are happy to help knowledgeable customers with tweaking various connection settings.
Be's contracts are typically 3 months notice on the main services, but 12 months on the cheaper entry-level 8mbps service.
Fixed IP is generally free.
Obviously they control everything directly (except the physical phone line) so changes can be made quite quickly - no need to grovel to BT Wholesale!
New connections and transfers seem generally to be done very quickly.
Be say (and I believe them) that they have no traffic shaping whatsoever and are genuinely unlimited. Now this could be good or it could eventually be disastrous. They do have local capacity issues at times but these seem to get fixed. Their network is shared with O2, who own them.
Be's DNS servers seem to be the subject of many complaints in the forums, but I use OpenDNS.
Be's email service is a chargeable option (suits me) and again is the subject of some complaints.
Be provide a standard router (loaned/leased so you return it at the end) and again this is the subject of some complaints. I use my trusty Netgear DG834GT.
Overall you can't really directly compare products and pricing to PlusNet as there are too many differences. I'm paying a bit more but getting a lot more of what I need (fast software package downloads).  Cheesy
James
Grafter

I think we can probably query whether or not this is actually the right place to be discussing other ISPs, but anyway, I digress Smiley
I myself, moved to O2 same ownership) about 4 or 5 months ago.  I was a little way from the exchange, and whilst I was enjoying my PlusNet connection, I did want to see what ADSL2+ was like, so thought I would give things a go to see how they worked out.
I thought the whole signup journey was excellent. It was clear, concise and very obvious what you should be filling in and where.  The pre-activation journey was also very good.  I received text messages and emails advising me of when my activation was due to take place, when my hardware was going to be sent and also given the option of when I'd like it to be sent.
From a downside, I really missed the ease of use of the PlusNet Portal.  O2s was extremely poor and doesn't have any of the features that PlusNet customers are able to receive.  From a connection stability point of view, my PlusNet connection was Grade A rock solid on an SNR profile of 6F (fast, not interleaved).  With O2, I've tried both a 3dB (I can dream) and a 6dB profile.  The 3dB profile was dire, dropping out about every 5 or 10 minutes and I still have problems on the 6dB profile with a connection drop out about once an hour, which is a right pain when I'm talking with friends on MSN or similar things to that.
I do find that there is considerably more network congestion on O2 than I experienced on PlusNet.  I'll generally lose a couple of Mbps during peak times of the day, and sometimes more at the weekends.  I didn't really get that on PlusNet, even on what was considered to be a fairly heavily contended exchange.
So, to recap, the signup journey was excellent (and something that I certainly think we can learn from with respect to the SMS sending under our new SMS2 platform), and the slight increase in speed is nice, but the connection stability isn't what it was with PlusNet and there's definitely an increase in Network/Exchange congestion, bearing in mind that the exchange equipment is O2 owned.
zubel
Community Veteran

I'm happy to allow the discussion of Be, as long as it doesn't turn into one long advertisement for them.
ADSL2+ technology will be coming to Plusnet "soon" and having a healthy discussion of the pros and cons of it in advance, using a supplier that actually uses similar technology is healthy.
B.
HPsauce
Pro

James, your experience is similar to many comments I've picked up on the Be forums. I don't know how long they can keep up the unlimited, unmanaged service.
And disconnections seem to be a common theme too, I think due to ADSL2+ technology so maybe PlusNet have something to keep a wary eye on there (and probably are already!).
Another point I forgot is that Be have only just started taking Direct Debit and there are some issues to iron out, though mine is OK.
And I got an SMS (and email) a few minutes ago reminding me that my latest bill was available online and when it will hit my account; as you say that side works well.
As for where to discuss this, I didn't start the subject but for a "Open ISP" why not here?  Grin
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
As for where to discuss this, I didn't start the subject but for a "Open ISP" why not here?  Grin

James just meant which board on these forums, as "Community Support" is reserved for discussing `PlusNet` products. Perhaps "Everything Internet" would have been more appropriate, but like Barry I will leave it here.
Chilly
cricalixwood
Dabbler

Quote from: chillypenguin

What speed are getting on PlusNet (Full router stats would be good)?

Throughput test is currently between 6700 and 7100 kbps.
Synch speed is 8032kpbs
Upstream:
noise margin upstream: 24 db
output power downstream: 19 db
attenuation upstream: 9 db
Downstream:
noise margin downstream: 13 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 20 db

I'm happy to move the conversation to another forum, it that would be better.
The comments so far have been very enlightening...maybe I'll just wait for PN to get ADSL2+., as I don't have any great need for extra speed. It's just that like for most geeks, faster is better!!
Roger
artmo
Aspiring Champion

What are their charges?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually O2 is a better deal if you have an O2 mobile and uses the same network.
Personally I am so far from the exchange the whole idea of ADSL2+ is a non starter
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: cricalixwood
attenuation downstream: 20 db

That would give you around 20mbps on ADSL2+
My attenuation is a bit higher at 21.5dB but I can get 21mbps with a bit of "tweaking".
@artmo I think you should look at their website for charges, I for one would not think it fair to publish them here as it's getting a bit too close to "advertising" for my taste.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am envious of those stats, as HPsauce says you should `Be`able to get some nice speeds on ADSL2+
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This should stop PlusNet getting the pizzas in
Coming soon to Sheffield is broadband adverts on pizza boxes. Be Broadband is set to run a promotion that will see pizza boxes being printed to make them look like a laptop as part of an advert campaign to promote the service.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3552-broadband-adverts-move-onto-pizza-boxes.html