cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Explain........

Del
Grafter

Anyone Explain........

Looking around other Broadband Providers as I often do just to keep track of things I notice Virgin Media say they can provide a connection speed for me between 4.0Mbps to 5.0Mbps through a normal line (I'm not in a Cable area) yet Plusnet can only provide around half this speed no doubt due to the distance I live from my nearest BT exchange.
It may be that Virgin have LLU equipment in my nearest exchange but having read some of the problems associated with this type of equipment how is it Virgin can offer nearly double the speed of Plusnet.
3 REPLIES 3
markrach
Grafter

Re: Anyone Explain........

I get the same , on my BE* line telle number i get my line is capable of 20.5mb on most checkers , knowing i have a 60db loss the figure is way out , BT should put something in place that can offer a reasonable estimate , not a figure double or even 4x like i get  Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

how is it Virgin can offer nearly double the speed of Plusnet

If Virgin do have LLU in your are and its ADSL2+ then its possible that they could provide better speeds.
In reality however the difference is more likely down to Virgin being VERY optimistic and PN using the standard BTw line checker which is pretty pessimistic!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Kitz shows my "estimated" max speed as 4000 when its just about holding at 4500 at 48dB attenuation and a SNR of 7dB
So I suspect Virgin are just being very optimistic and will have the "Max speed is a completely wild guess and probably unattainable" get out clause.