cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else having problems with the service?

mwerle
Grafter

Anybody else having problems with the service?

This morning (while actively using my connection) the connection briefly dropped out.  On restart, my modem sync'd at around 0.5Mbps. Upstream sync'd at 0.9Mbps which I've enjoyed since joining the trial.
Prior to this morning I was consistently getting Downstream speeds of around 5Mbps (sync around 6-7Mbps, don't have the exact sync speed logged)
I've tried resetting the router and using various different modulations but it always re-syncs at around 0.5Mbps now.
Is anybody else seeing this (ie, is there some scheduled maintenance or something happening - I haven't seen anything) or should I raise a service call?
SpeedTester.bt.com has this to say:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 571 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  1061 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 257 kbps
Cheers,
- Micha.
18 REPLIES 18
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Anybody else having problems with the service?

Do you know what your router stats are? Downstream SNR and attenuation in particular.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

<a href="http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php">how to get your linestats from router</a>
the_norris
Grafter

that is interesting - think I had the same problem.
Got PN to get BT to re-set line on firday - was working fine for 2 days using:  ADSL2+, interleave, 6db SNR 6411kbps.  Was happy.  Smiley
Then sometime between 9am and 4pm the connection has dropped and now : ADSL2, fast path, 15db SNR 3719 kbps.  Cry

mwerle
Grafter

Sorry for the late reply.
Here's the current stats (stable for the last 24 hours - unfortunately I can't find my older stats at present):
LocalSNRMargin= 34.5 dB
LocalLineAttn= 28.5 dB
LocalTxPower= 12.4 dB
RemoteLineAttn= 19.0 dB
RemoteSNRMargin= 12 dB

Incidentally, this morning my downstream sync speed just halved again (about 10mins ago while I was digging around for my notes).  I now get a whopping:
TxBitRate= 1007200
RxBitRate= 286300
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your line seems to be experiencing short bursts of noise which cause disconnection and re-sync at a much reduced speed. If your master socket is the type with removal lower half (see phone book page 5), have you checked whether connecting using a filter to the test socket gives higher sync speeds?
Have you tried a different filter? Do the line stats change if you don't plug in the phone? Can you associate disconnection with any event - for example the phone ringing or being answered?
David
mwerle
Grafter

After discovering the second drop in speed I plugged the router into the test socket (yes, the master socket does have the detachable lower half) - no change.
I don't have a spare filter (will have to get one) so can't test whether it has suddenly failed.  In either case, there's no change if I remove the phone from the line.
Haven't found any trigger event - rarely get phonecalls, and haven't had any this weekend which saw the start of this much reduced linespeed.
The line was slightly slower than pre-Trial, but stable for the 2 months or so that I've been on the trial, and I haven't changed anything.
Apart from equipment failure, my best guess is maintenance on the phone line somewhere has now caused an issue?
It is now also taking a very long time for the ADSL Connection to come up (previously ~5s, now closer to a minute, going through several DISCOVER/HANDSHAKE cycles).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Do you have an alternative router to try?
Otherwise raising a speed fault at http://faults.plus.net seems to be the way forward. It could help to mention you are on the 21CN trial.
David
mwerle
Grafter

Unfortunately I don't have an alternative ADSL2+ router to try.
Will raise a fault with PlusNet - was mostly curious to see if this was an issue seen by other people on the trial or an isolated event.
Thanks to everyone's for their input Smiley
- Micha.
PS. This has triggered me to finally set up continuous logging of my router.  For the interested:
http://www.lemmurg.com/mrtg/
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have been having very much the same issues as you, and have tried umpteen different things, and has now culminated in a request for BT to take a look, as we are sure its an external issue.
See my thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76379.0.html
mwerle
Grafter

I've now been on a support tracker for over a week and still nothing coming even close to a resolution.
In fact, most of the week was spent rehashing information which I provided when I initially raised the ticket.  Someone just going through the checklist instead of ticking the checklist off with information already provided and then moving on.
Despite requesting more frequent updates I haven't heard back from anybody in two days now, save someone posting logs of my router disconnects (almost all of which were due to my testing and hence expected).  No word as to what the next step is.
Not impressed. At all.
For the interested, router stats are 'live' here:
http://www.lemmurg.com/mrtg/
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I'm a Mac user and I was wondering if anybody else gets this :-
Loss of connection irritatingly signalled by Microsoft Entourages "failed to get beep, beep" (turn sound off quickly).
I then go to Network Diagnostics which informs me that Airport (wifi) is okay as are Airport settings and Network settings. But ISP, Internet and server are failed. Sometimes it comes back of it's own accord but sometimes I need to go through the 'assist me' process (seconds) which proudly boasts - as if nothing was wrong - "Your internet connection appears to be working" and 6 green lights show. Then all works fine until the next time.
Have gone down the faults route once and baulked at the threat of a possible £140 + fee from BT. Now awaiting response from the fault checker wizard. This is an intermittent fault so I think it will be a pig to sort unless PN has some magic wizardry to trace it.
I'm a 3 phase neutral and earth kinda person not too sure of the dark art that is broadband and routing.
James
Grafter

Hi Word Warrior,
The SFI engineer charge that you're referring to is charged if the problem is being caused by your internal wiring or hardware.  If you've checked all of that out, you won't be charged a call out fee should an engineer need to turn up.
manastro
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt

Otherwise raising a speed fault at http://faults.plus.net seems to be the way forward. It could help to mention you are on the 21CN trial.

Yes, that way they can completely ignore your problem and say that your line performance is "within spec" according to BT and therefore they cannot help you further.
mwerle
Grafter

Update:
Finally -called- PN to complain on Thursday afternoon about lack of progress and was told that my tracker had been sent to the wrong pool. Fantastic.  Since then the fault was forwarded to BT and  this morning at ~6:30 am it appears to have been fixed.
I now have SNR Margin of 9 and downstream sync-speed of nearly 10Mbps.  Wayhay! Highest speed since joining the trial!
So, in summary: nearly 2 weeks of stuffing around with PN support before the fault was forwarded to BT, then less than 2 days to fix.
I'm guessing they either rectified a fault at the exchange or physically shunted me onto another copper pair.  Will be interesting to see if I can get an explanation as to what was done to fix the problem.