cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason why I can't connect to a single Torrent tracker?

esseff
Grafter

Any reason why I can't connect to a single Torrent tracker?

As of this morning, I can make no connection to any torrent tracker. Nothing has changed my end, my ports show as open, my Internet access is normal. Yet no matter who I try, I cannot even get the tracker stats to appear - all I get is N/A. This has never happened before. Is there anything at PN that could cause this to happen?
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Any reason why I can't connect to a single Torrent tracker?

Try rebooting everything - PC, router/ADSL modem etc. Could be your router/ADSL modem has gone funny or any software firewalls.
esseff
Grafter

Thanks for that Peter. Tried rebooting - no change. My ports are definitely still open so no firewall issues, and I had no problem downloading 3GB of torrents yesterday. Everything appears normal. If something had occurred with my router wouldn't it show in other ways?
esseff
Grafter

Well, it's suddenly just started working again! I didn't do anything.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm afraid that I'm not aware of anything that would cause this.
Please do give us a shout if you see anything similar in the future though.
beano
Grafter

I don't know if it's related but I don't seem to be able to connect to trackers between midnight and about 2AM, which means downloads are horribly slow. This has been ongoing.
When I get up just after 8 AM though, they're all connected and downloading at a total of about (up to) 100KB/s.
I guessed it was maybe contention as IIRC plus net don't throttle P2P from midnight through to midday, amirite?
James
Grafter

There are rate limits applied to P2P between 12-2, but these are more relaxed than they are during earlier hours.
This may be partly related to large numbers of people using scheduling software for their downloads which all kick in at midnight.
godsell4
Rising Star

Is there a problem?
I am on PAYG and at 07:55 my torrents were running at >170kb/s, at 07:59 and 08:01 that speed started reducing down to about 100kb/s.
I was going to stop the torrent anyway ... but surely the speed should not have reduced!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: godsell4
I was going to stop the torrent anyway ... but surely the speed should not have reduced!

We don't apply rate limits to P2P traffic on PAYG and it always stays in the same traffic queues. Any reduction in speed is likely to have been the result of other factors.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

beano
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
There are rate limits applied to P2P between 12-2, but these are more relaxed than they are during earlier hours.
This may be partly related to large numbers of people using scheduling software for their downloads which all kick in at midnight.

I know there are restrictions for BBYW Option 1. Are there also limits imposed from 12-2 on Option 2?
According to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option2speeds
there aren't.