cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any overnight work going on?

Grff
Grafter

Any overnight work going on?

I seem to have been having intermittent connection issues for about a week now. I'm sure it's coincidence it happened around the same time I got an email saying fibre was now available though.
Last week I got disconnected from Xbox live, and after rebooting my router got back online, although with a sync around 2000k less than usual.
Now this morning, I'm now having to type this over 3G as despite rebooting my router and it syncing up at around 3500 (used to be around 4500) I can't seem to get any traffic (web browsing and mail) through my router. I can get to the router via wireless fine, but nothing further.
Is PlusNet still having problems, or working on something at the moment?
Regards
Griff
11 REPLIES 11
g1dtf
Dabbler

Re: Any overnight work going on?

I have lost my connection to plusnet too. Currently tethered to phone to post this.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Although there is BT Network Maintenance going on this will not affect your sync with the exchange.
It's possible separate work at your local exchange may affect your connection to the exchange. You could see if putting the first 5 digits of your STD code in here and see if any ongoing work is indicated - note this won't cover all work.
@Griff
If you are regularly losing sync with the exchange, first check out your phone line, especially when this is happening. Can you hear any crackling or other noises  on the line when using the phone, or having any problems with outgoing or incoming calls?
Try another modem/router and filter plugged into the test socket to see if the problem continues.
@g1dtf
If you still haven't reconnected, try logging into your mode/router Interface and clicking on Disconnect/Connect., otherwise follow the advice just given to Griff.
Grff
Grafter

I don't seem to lose sync, just seem to not be able to transfer any data.
It was back by 8.00 this morning, so something had resovled itself. (or manual intervention, who knows).
Not very good when you're trying to connect to work to resolve some IT issues.
Although there's no specifics, there is this update at 10:05 today;
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1342598708.htm
Anotherone
Champion

Aha. I always note which Gateway I'm on, so if a problem arises I can try a Gateway hop to see if that solves the problem. Of course when major BT Network maintenance is involved you may not be able to connect until it's completed.
Difficult to say if your issue was the BT maintenance or the fault at Plusnet - update - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1342606752.htm
James
Grafter

I've noticed from Chris and Matt's latency graphs that they both seemed to lose connectivity for about an hour around 2am.
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
So I suspect your connection problems at that time were related.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ditto my graph.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

So is that due to BT work or the Plusnet fault?
James
Grafter

Work on Birmingham was due to start at 2am this morning which ties in, so I'd hazard a guess it would have been that.
Of course (which amazingly, has been known to happen) I could be wrong.
Anotherone
Champion

Well just checking the Collated Users Online, ptn-ag04 seems to have fallen over at ~0200 but the Aggregate Traffic graphs show a plunge at 0100 and no change at 0200, how odd.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sounds like one of them is on GMT/UCT and the other's on BST.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

That was my immediate thought but not the case when you look at the scaling, time at end of graph etc.
Have a look http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml (don't forget to refresh the page).