cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one else have dismal online gaming experiences with PlusNet ADSL?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Any one else have dismal online gaming experiences with PlusNet ADSL?

Can you make sure that nothing else is using your connection when you're trying to game? The download is being maxed for decent periods in the evening and the upload is getting hit pretty hard too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
martinbean
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Can you make sure that nothing else is using your connection when you're trying to game? The download is being maxed for decent periods in the evening and the upload is getting hit pretty hard too.

I have other devices connected, but idle. It’s not like I’m trying to play online whilst downloading large files whilst streaming watching Netflix.
I’d still like to know what “changes” your colleague Matthew Wheeler made. I asked twice with no answer and like I say, it feels as though the lag is worse now!
martinbean
Dabbler

Given I’ve asked three times what changes have been made as they’ve made my lag issues worse rather than any better, I’ll be cancelling my Plusnet account.
It’s an absolute smack in the face to get an email to say my service charges are going up when I’ve had an absolute dire service since switching. But those price increases come with a silver lining as the small print advises I can cancel my account without incurring cancellation fees.
I’ve been reporting this issue for months now and tried every thing: port forwarding, putting console in DMZ zone, a new router; the only action from Plusnet’s side has had a detrimental affect. A photo is worth a thousand words; this is how infuriating lag with your service has made me:

That is the second PlayStation controller I’ve smashed against a wall during my less-than-a-year tenure with Plusnet. They’re also the only two I’ve smashed. No coincidence.
All I want to do when I finish work is just play a little GTA Online, and not where every one has a 1–2 second advantage over me. It’s not too much to ask for.
Chris
Legend

Sorry you're getting so frustrated with this, I've had a look at your account and we've had no fault reports or any contacts with us to look into this other than this thread since January.
What kind of ping times do you get if you open a command line and ping bbc.co.uk
Is your Playstation wired or wireless? Do you get any issues with other games?
What kind of speedtest results are you getting?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
martinbean
Dabbler

No fault reports? I’ve reported it numerous times over the past several months! I was even sent a new router because of the constant reporting!
I don’t know what’s a good and bad ping time, but this is the output when I ping bbc.co.uk:
PING bbc.co.uk (212.58.244.20): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=26.087 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=25.881 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=26.566 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=26.276 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=25.722 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=5 ttl=54 time=26.599 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=6 ttl=54 time=26.044 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=7 ttl=54 time=27.859 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=8 ttl=54 time=25.783 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=9 ttl=54 time=25.054 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=10 ttl=54 time=27.252 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=11 ttl=54 time=26.475 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=12 ttl=54 time=25.870 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=13 ttl=54 time=26.637 ms
64 bytes from 212.58.244.20: icmp_seq=14 ttl=54 time=25.696 ms

I’ve also noticed that whenever I use any geolocating services (say posting on Twitter where you can tag a Tweet with a location) it always thinks I’m in Wales. Is this why I’m seeing such horrific lag—it thinks I’m the other end of the country? (I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, over 200 miles away.)
I’d still like to know what “changes” were made my Matthew Wheeler to my service, and whatever was done I’ve noticed the problem has been worse since.
My console is connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable, and I don’t play any other online games so can’t test or compare.
Chris
Legend

I’ve also noticed that whenever I use any geolocating services (say posting on Twitter where you can tag a Tweet with a location) it always thinks I’m in Wales. Is this why I’m seeing such horrific lag—it things I’m the other end of the country?

Nope, that won't make any difference.
I’d still like to know what “changes” were made my Matthew Wheeler to my service, and whatever was done I’ve noticed the problem has been worse since.

Matthew made an MTU tweak to your router, realistically this isn't going to impact ping or lag at all.
Sorry, I can see this was reported in May over social media. I'd still suggest officially opening a fault ticket so the line gets tested end to end. https://faults.plus.net
Those ping responses to bbc.co.uk look absolutely fine.

TeflonPlusnet

I have the same problem my connection was absolutely fine for years and all of a sudden its full of lag spikes, my ping is up to 40 milliseconds on the server but it still completely unplayable!
I've been online gaming for well over 10 years with Plusnet, this is by far the worst it's ever been, is the infrastructure just not up to the amount of users they have or is some cheeky packet shaping being done to push people over to fibre broadband?
All I know is I can't get fibre because its not available in my area I pay £25 pm for an unlimited connection with the reduced contingent gaming pack
I get 16mb/s down 1mb/s up my routers connected directly into BT wall splitter in the master socket and all the settings are fine just as they have been for years and I'm not the only one experiencing this so is it time to change provider?
Also don't know if anybody else is having this but it's as if my DNS lookup is a lot slower now, so I set 1 to Plusnet the other to Google which didn't make any difference at all?

Historically I'm a massive fan of Plusnet and it's very disappointing to be considering a move  Cry
martinbean
Dabbler

This lag is really doing my head in. I can’t play a bloody game online without coming across players who had a 1–2 second advantage over me!
December can’t come soon enough. I’ll be dropping Plusnet like a bad habit when my contract’s up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of my sons play online games such as WoW, GTA5 on various platforms such as Xbox One, PS4 and PC and they have never complained of lag and we're on ADSL. I use (for the moment at least) A TP-Link TL-R480T+ connected to two (soon to be 3) DrayTek Vigor 120s with a 40ms ping on all lines.
Maybe doesn't help you much but...
martinbean
Dabbler

I am still experiencing lag! 9 months now! I’ve lost count the amount of things I’ve tried to get rid of it, yet it still persists.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
Sorry, I can see this was reported in May over social media. I'd still suggest officially opening a fault ticket so the line gets tested end to end. https://faults.plus.net

Amongst the uncountable things you've done to resolve this, did you do these two?  Raise a fault report and answer Chris' question?  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

martinbean
Dabbler

Yes. A couple of times. Nothing’s happened.