cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one else have dismal online gaming experiences with PlusNet ADSL?

martinbean
Dabbler

Any one else have dismal online gaming experiences with PlusNet ADSL?

I moved from BT to PlusNet some months ago. With BT, I could play GTA Online with no issues, although I started getting intermittent drop-outs and when BT couldn’t actually diagnose the issue but were wanting to charge me for new routers and agent calls-outs, I decided that was the time to say goodbye.
So I moved to PlusNet after hearing nothing but good things, and my online gaming connection is absolutely terrible. I have broached this issue with PlusNet multiple times and they’ve been not too helpful. I have put my PS3 into DMZ mode, the console is connected directly to the router via the Ethernet cable and I still experience horrific lags during online gaming sessions.
Is any one else experiencing this? As I’m thinking of moving on to another ISP when my 12-month PlusNet contract is up.
26 REPLIES 26
LeeL

Re: Any one else have dismal online gaming experiences with PlusNet ADSL?

Hi Martin,
Thanks for taking the time to write this.
Sorry you're having a poor gaming experience. LAG in gaming has been experienced by a few of our customers. I've looked at your account and can see we have sent out our latest router the HUB 0 so you can try use the Port Forwarding capabilities. Have you managed to have a go at this yet? How did you find it?
We also sent you a lot of useful information and supplied a lot of links to point you in the right path on how to improve this.
Port Forwarding is your best bet to resolve this in my opinion. I used it myself a couple of times on my old Xbox 360. Had horrid times trying to play COD. Looked through the guides on http://portforward.com/ and my problems were gone.
Also a Plusnet customer Wink
Hope this helps.
martinbean
Dabbler

Hi Lee,
I’ve not yet received the router, even though the agent on the phone when I last called said he would sent one out, and that was a couple of weeks ago now.
adie:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We had confirmation that the router was dispatched so I'm concerned to hear you haven't got it.
You haven't had any "Sorry you were out" sort of cards from Royal Mail have you?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gingerbloke
Grafter

If you know how to do it on your router set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if it improves (worked for me, there seem to be some issues with the auto)
Quote from: martinbean
<snip> about poor pings on games
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Martin,
If you had this issue BEFORE you moved to PlusNet and you still have it, why does the title on this thread seek to imply that this is an issue specifically with PlusNet?
There is every possibility that you have an issue with your line, your exchange or possibly your internal wiring?
Have you checked that you are getting the right synch speed for your line?  Do take a look at the speed issues thread (link below).
Is there any noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.
Is the router connected to the master socket?
Are there any phone extensions?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

piplowe
Hooked

I'm in the same boat as you. Was with BT and moved to Plusnet.
I have issues with gaming and was recommended Plusnet due to them prioritising gaming traffic. 
In the past I've had BT Engineers out to test the line, replace routers, ADSL faceplates but I still have a horrible gaming experience.
I'm on a wired connection with the PS4 in the DMZ, I've also tried port forwarding.
Occasionally 1 game in 20 plays ok but most of the time its unplayable. 
My conclusion is it must be something with the line as both providers can't be bad once it reaches the exchange Wink
My pings are lower to the PS4 game host than all my friends but I get the worse experience. Lag compensation perhaps but I don't mind that if it plays ok.
Also take a look at input lag on your TV and try setting it to game mode that may also help.
http://www.displaylag.com/
martinbean
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
If you had this issue BEFORE you moved to PlusNet and you still have it, why does the title on this thread seek to imply that this is an issue specifically with PlusNet?

Read my opening post again. Two separate issues.
My connection with BT kept randomly dropping. They couldn’t diagnose the issue, wanted money out of me for a new router, then more money out of me to call out an engineer, with no guarantee of resolving the issue. But when I was connecting, online gaming was fine.
I move to PlusNet, and online gaming is woeful. I have no drop-outs, but can’t remember the last time I played a session where I wasn’t experiencing severe lag, which is infuriating in situations like death matches where I’m just being trounced due to players jumping around my screen and killing me before they’ve even drawn their weapon on my screen.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: martinbean
... although I started getting intermittent drop-outs and when BT couldn’t actually diagnose the issue ...

Is did read you opening thread carefully.  It implied that AFTER you were playing games OK, you got drop-outs which were not resolved by BT Retail.
Given that BT Retail and PlusNet use exactly the same infrastructure, if there was an unresolved issue on your line with BT Retail, it will still be there now.  That issue could be responsible for your gaming issues.
If you want help from the forum members, please review and answer the questions in my original post.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

martinbean
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
Is did read you opening thread carefully.  It implied that AFTER you were playing games OK, you got drop-outs which were not resolved by BT Retail.
Given that BT Retail and PlusNet use exactly the same infrastructure, if there was an unresolved issue on your line with BT Retail, it will still be there now.  That issue could be responsible for your gaming issues.
If you want help from the forum members, please review and answer the questions in my original post.

I am having completely different issues with Plusnet than I did with BT.
With BT, I didn’t get lag. My connection just dropped out completely intermittently. BT sent a new router, but it still happened. They sent new filters. It still happened. They didn’t know what the problem was, said they would have to send an engineer out but it would cost me, I told them thanks but no thanks and moved to Plusnet after hearing good things.
Now, ever since I’ve been with Plusnet I can’t play a session of GTA Online without horrendous lag. Players zip about on the screen and it’s like trying to shoot ghosts on roller skates whilst you’re only allowed to go at snail’s pace. It is infuriating. My console is connected directly to the router via a cable, I‘ve enabled DMZ mode on the router and the console, I’ve tried port forwarding, and nothing has made an improvement. Ironically, Plusnet have also sent me a new router and I’m still having the same issue.
The lag is a symptom of Plusnet.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Can you try a reset of the router?
I've made some changes which may help.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
martinbean
Dabbler

I could but that’s all I’d be able to do as I’ve just smashed a second PS3 controller against the wall due to frustration with the lagging.
dick:quote
scottymc
Grafter

Matt what did you do and martin have you seen any improvement?
When I had gaming problems high pings and lag you guys turned off interleaving , it had a great effect pings are solid 15-20 .
Might be worth a try  
martinbean
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
Can you try a reset of the router?
I've made some changes which may help.

Repaired controller, rebooted router, and no improvement. In fact, I’d say it’s worse now!
What exactly were the “changes” you made?
martinbean
Dabbler

Matthew/Plusnet, I’m still having a godawful service. What “changes” were made to my service? As like I say, it seems to be worse now!
I’m getting a bit fed up with this, now. I haven’t been able to play GTA Online for months since switching to Plusnet now, with no sign of my issue being diagnosed, let alone being fixed.
Can you have someone from your cancellations department contact me, please. I’ll also be refusing to pay the remainder of the 12-month contract as I don’t believe I’ve had a satisfactory service since opening my account.