cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any help appreciated Please

mkc66
Grafter

Any help appreciated Please

Broadband was all working fine  last night and today it says local only though it has worked a couple of times today for a few moments once while wireless and once on a wired connection I am always plugged into the test socket use a netgear dgn 2200 and have tried wireless and wired now using my iPhone as desperate for help lol I have rebooted the router as I have had this local problem before and a reboot sorted it on one occasion on snother I just renamed the wireless SSID and that worked but neither are working this time.
I have no ip address gateway ip address etc in the router status page though it does say modem status connected downstream 4032kbps,

An ideas how to get connected preferably wireless appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any help appreciated Please

I assume that you only have one computer - if so which operating system does it use
Have you tried disabling your firewall
Are all the lights on the router  green
mkc66
Grafter

Have tried 2 laptops one vista one windows7 also tried an iPhone x2 and an iPod touch all of which worked last night and the iPod worked this morning but nothing works at the moment in the notification area the screens say local only mind you 5 minutes ago it said local and Internet but I still couldn't open any pages all lights are currently green though one does keep going intermittently red
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

From checking your account it looks like there may be an issue with your router. I can see a rock solid 28 day connection prior 01:15 this morning, following that there's disconnections every few seconds. I'd reccomend a factory reset of the device. If you could do that then let me know and I'll check the logs again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

Hi Adam
we disconnected unplugged router changed inline filters reset rebooted and finger crossed seems to be working hopefully as the router was new in June it was a filter problem as the internet light was on intermittently then red, Can a filter do that to my connection?Huh
I'll see how it goes for now  Smiley if you could let me know if my connection stays stable that would be great
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Faulty filters could certainly have been the cause of that kind of error, yes. If you put the same filter back in and the same thing happens then you know that was the cause Smiley
mkc66
Grafter

Thanks Matt all still working so without pulling out my sofa again I shall hazard a guess that that was my problem Smiley
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Great stuff, BTW I only suspected an issue with the router itself due to the short frequency of the disconnections and the wifi issues you described, glad you got that sorted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

Still connected  Cheesy  if only everything was that easy lol
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The connection's been up for more than 19 hours now so it's looking good. Profile's at 2000 on both our and BTs side so that'll most likely uplift soon as well, if it hasn't done so after the weekend then it's probably worth resyncing around lunchtime once a day until it does. I'd definitely leave it until after the weekend though so there's a good period of stability there Smiley
mkc66
Grafter

Thanks Matt what exactly do you mean by resyncing  (blonde moment  ;D)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When the router is plugged into the line, and before it actually makes the connection to us, it has to sync with the ADSL service on the line - you can tell it's doing this because the ADSL light (or whatever it's labelled, tends to vary between router manufacturers and models) flashes and then lights up solid when it's synced.
Basically you need it to do this again, as the initial speed at which it syncs is recorded by the exchange equipment.
Don't just power the router off or unplug it, as that will be seen as a forced disconnect (i.e. a fault) by the exchange. Log in to the router and use the disconnect option on the relevant page, then power it off for a few minutes (5 or so should be fine) and then back on. That will mean it has to resync which will lead to the exchange recording the new (hopefully improved) sync rate, which should push the profile up.
Smiley
mkc66
Grafter

Thanks I'll give it the weekend and see if it changes if not I'll do as you say and resync