cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any connection between ADSL broadband and mobile phone data connections?

GCC
Hooked

Any connection between ADSL broadband and mobile phone data connections?

On the evening of 26 Aug 2016 my ADSL down speed dropped to between 1MBS and almost zero, Up speed was OK though. At around midnight it returned to normal. The next evening at around 20:30 same thing happened. I have raised a fault ticket.

However, at the same times my O2 phone data connection also dropped in speed to 2G levels (I was going to tether to the phone). When Plusnet came back up, so did my phone data (back to 3G again). Could this be just a coincidence or is there any connection between ADSL broadband and mobile data connections?

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Any connection between ADSL broadband and mobile phone data connections?

Pure coincidence - ADSL runs over the copper phone cables, mobile phones 2/3/4G runs over wireless.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Just a thought, are you using wireless for your ADSL connection? If so, it may be possible that there were high levels of EMI around in your house from another source screwing up both. I agree it doesn't explain why your upstream was OK but... 

If it happens again and you are using wireless for ADSL it might be worth trying with an Ethernet connection.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

GCC
Hooked

I connected directly to the router - not wirelessly - in case it was an interference issue. I agree, the fact that both phone and broadband were affected made me think of some radio interference. I am waiting to see if the same fault appears tonight. Reading other threads it seems there is some problem with packet loss on the PN network leading to poor broadband speeds, but not sure if that is my problem